Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first day of spring

So I will apologize in advance to those who live in terrible parts of the world (cold). Saturday here will be high of 78, first weekend I would consider 'warm'. I still prefer 80/90 degrees but this will work. I bought two butts yesterday, total 17.25#, case of beer is in the Yeti, corn hold boards will be out, kids running around outside, bottle of Makers and Goose on counter. Going to have few friends and family over and spend day outside enjoy cold drink and smell of Egg. Once gets dark will head in to watch UFC PPV. This will pretty much be every weekend rest of year until gets cold, sub-70 high, for me. Love the south.
Boom

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I is supposed to be 78 here as well on Saturday. You must be close!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i got sun burnt enough last weekend fishing in the sun, peeling and pain are almost gone
    :))the good part was the guinness was served at the proper temp, it was 42 degrees outside
    :Dtwo weeks and the boat gets launched
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    @fishlessman I sold my bass boat in Sept, going to by a new G3 1652 in May. Love being on water.
    Boom
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    That sounds like the perfect weekend, FOF! I just knocked off work for the weekend myself....been one heck of a week at work...literally limping away from it...lol Ready to throw something on the egg myself. Gotta love this weather!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Hopefully it's a good PPV.  Normally, I don't like when they all go to decisions, but I'd pay to see GSP take his time and bloody up Diaz for 5 rounds.  I have a feeling this one is going to be completely lopsided.  Who are you pulling for?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    This is my little boat and it is a G3, gets into some skinny places.  Water temperatures are almost warm enough to start fishing...  I'm wanting to blacken some redfish -- cooking with the scales "on" as someone suggested!!
  • FanOfFanboys
    SaltySam said:

Hopefully it's a good PPV.  Normally, I don't like when they all go to decisions, but I'd pay to see GSP take his time and bloody up Diaz for 5 rounds.  I have a feeling this one is going to be completely lopsided.  Who are you pulling for?

I got GSP, Condit, Jake, Cote, Miller, Story, Roop (?), and Ring (?)
    Rooting for Diaz but don't see him winning
    I do think GSP beats him like GSP beat Fitch. And Diaz gets busted in face pretty easily do I think he will look terrible after fight.
    I don't like Hendricks so why I picked Condit.
    I actually enjoy Diaz bros and appreciate what they bring but they both struggle against guys with great top control/g'n'p but style wise this is a bad matchup.
    I'm not a GSP fan, don't dislike either. But I am pretty excited for card. I don't care about decisions, can be amazing fight with decision or boring fight with a finish. I just like a quality fight. I have a wrestling background, and little bit of BJJ, so I can appreciate ground game. I just dislike a stall fight.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys

This is my little boat and it is a G3, gets into some skinny places.  Water temperatures are almost warm enough to start fishing...  I'm wanting to blacken some redfish -- cooking with the scales "on" as someone suggested!!

I dig it. Main reason I sold bass boat; I want to get into tighter spots. I'm def getting tiller steer, tho I'm going camo finish. This is my old boat. Nothing fancy but was my 1st boat.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    And my fav view Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos and the boy behind the wheel Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys

I is supposed to be 78 here as well on Saturday. You must be close!

Columbia sc
    Boom
  • SaltySam

Ever consider a kayak to fish?  I got into it a couple summers ago, and now I'm borderline obsessed.  You can get into some crazy tight spaces that boats would never dare venture into.  It's nearly silent and very peaceful.  One aspect of it that I really dig is that many kayak fishermen are do-it-yourself types, tinkerers. It's strangely similar to the demographics/personalities/interests you see on the BGE forum. I love everything about it.  Of course, I don't have a boat. I want one.  I think if I ever do get one, I'll keep the kayaks though.  It's just a completely different experience.

If I remember correctly, you're from South Carolina right?  There is a pretty big kayak fishing community down there, particularly the Columbia area. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• FanOfFanboys
    SaltySam said:

Ever consider a kayak to fish?  I got into it a couple summers ago, and now I'm borderline obsessed.  You can get into some crazy tight spaces that boats would never dare venture into.  It's nearly silent and very peaceful.  One aspect of it that I really dig is that many kayak fishermen are do-it-yourself types, tinkerers. It's strangely similar to the demographics/personalities/interests you see on the BGE forum. I love everything about it.  Of course, I don't have a boat. I want one.  I think if I ever do get one, I'll keep the kayaks though.  It's just a completely different experience.

If I remember correctly, you're from South Carolina right?  There is a pretty big kayak fishing community down there, particularly the Columbia area. 

I am in Columbia. Funny you mention that. You're 4th person in last 3 weeks to tell me about kayak. One of my buddies just bought one last week. But all sing praises and benefits. Won't replace a boat for some of my needs but certainly would fit in nice and do some of things I want even better. Def something I just started looking into and I'm interested in. After I get another boat think I'm going to get serious about.
    Boom
  • SaltySam

It hasn't really caught on much here in Nebraska, but that's fine by me.  I get some weird looks each time I launch from the dock, but it doesn't bother me. I liked it so much, I got my kid a 10' kayak as well.

My friend owns a farm pond about 20 miles from my house. It's only about a 30 acre pond, and  90% of it is surrounded by tall prarie grass. He doesn't let anyone go out on motorized boats.  He told me that the south end of the pond had been fished maybe 5 times in 10 years.  I paddled out, threw a spinner near the bank and reeled it in.  First cast, a 5.5lb largemouth attacked it and drug me and my boat about 20 yards.  About an hour later, my 10 year old caught his first crappie- a 14.5" master angler.  It was the highlight of my summer.

If you do get interested, look into Palmetto Kayak Fishing.  A guy named Paul Davis runs it.  He's the Nolaegghead of yak fishing.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Dyal_SC

Just cleaned up my boat a couple weeks ago.  I have plans for tomorrow already, but may have to hit the lake on Sunday.  Hopefully it cranks....it's been sitting since last Summer.

What river is that in your pictures?  The only fresh water rivers I've ever fished have been down in the lowcountry.  Used to fish the Combahee quite a bit. 

• Freezing rain and a couple of inches of snow.  I'm so happy for you.
    Flint, Michigan
  • FanOfFanboys
    Dyal_SC said:

Just cleaned up my boat a couple weeks ago.  I have plans for tomorrow already, but may have to hit the lake on Sunday.  Hopefully it cranks....it's been sitting since last Summer.

What river is that in your pictures?  The only fresh water rivers I've ever fished have been down in the lowcountry.  Used to fish the Combahee quite a bit. 

Wateree. 15 min drive or so. I love that river. In it since a kid.
    But Columbia affluent in rivers. Broad, Congaree, Wateree,
    Really a lot more. No need to go to low country.
    Ever want to go out, let me know. Happy to ride out, especially once get my new boat
    Boom
  • Dyal_SC
    I got a 16 ft center console palm beach...small 50 HP Yamaha motor...  not a speed boat, bass boat or a pontoon, but it will get the job done.  :)  Lemme know if you wanna do some fishing as well.  I've never been out on the rivers of the midlands.  Only Lake Murray.  My wife doesn't like me fishing when she's on the boat....lol  She's afraid of crickets, worms and fish...lol  No male friends in the Columbia area either that share my love of fishing.  Would love to get my rod and reel wet, without me having to travel across the state.  ;)
  • FanOfFanboys
    Dyal_SC said:

I got a 16 ft center console palm beach...small 50 HP Yamaha motor...  not a speed boat, bass boat or a pontoon, but it will get the job done.  :)  Lemme know if you wanna do some fishing as well.  I've never been out on the rivers of the midlands.  Only Lake Murray.  My wife doesn't like me fishing when she's on the boat....lol  She's afraid of crickets, worms and fish...lol  No male friends in the Columbia area either that share my love of fishing.  Would love to get my rod and reel wet, without me having to travel across the state.  ;)

We will get together soon. Great fishing around here. And here is idea of my love of Murray Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    But Wateree and Congaree are my main watering holes. Started fishing there in 1st grade, got out of in high school, started back about 2 years ago. Love to go out and shoe you around. My bro in law and step dad know the rivers as well. Pick a Sat, PM me, and will go out.
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    @fishlessman I sold my bass boat in Sept, going to by a new G3 1652 in May. Love being on water.
    i could do some serious damage with that boat in the spring on  smallies, nice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My other boat is a SeaArk Tunnel hull.  I stripped everything out of it and built compartments throughout the boat -- it is fully decked for casting.  No wood in the entire project --  it is made out of foam urithane with fiber glass for stregnth.  We used it for up to three day fishing trips into the deep Everglades, back where the fresh water mixed with the salt water.  We could catch both fresh water and salt water fish at the same time..