Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket replaced

replaced my first gasket last night.  not too hard but was wondering if anybody has replaced one without taking the lid off?  i think it can be done.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yes. The back can be tricky but yes.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I've seen it on video. I neef a new one and I figured to do it when we get some decent weather. I haven't figured out what method yet.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm too mine with the lid on. But waiting on warmer weather. I'm actually only gonna do the bottom first and see what happens

XLBGE 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Why is it tricky with the lid on?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:

Why is it tricky with the lid on?

There's not a lot of room at the hinge and it's an awkward angle.
    Flint, Michigan
  • robnybbq
    I have no gasket currently.  I want to put one back on.  Cant I just sand the area and glue the new gasket on? 

Garnerville, NY
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Have done mine twice with the lid on. I spread work towels over the back hinge assembly etc because spraying the 3M adhesive in the back with the lid on can be tricky. But it is absolutely doable. BTW do not use towels from the guest bathroom! SWMBO does not approve. :D
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    The new ones are self adhesive sticky back'd so shouldn't be too hard. I did a 10 hour smoke other day with zero temp issues but I do have smoke seeping out the right side of my egg bad.

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    You just have to make sure you get the residue from the old gasket off of the ceramic so it adheres properly. It takes some elbow grease, a few rags, acetone to cut it, and a straight edge scrapper. My first replacement failed after a few cooks and only conclusion was I did not do a good enough job getting old off. I have a nomex. I am only putting it on bottom first to see what happens with it. Was planning to do it today, but planning to cook some wings for lunch.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • robnybbq
    gotcha.  I saw on the Naked whiz site they used a pumice stone to smooth the area out as well.   A few more weeks and hopefully I can get it installed.  Want to get a few days where its not below freezing out.

Garnerville, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I'm a fan of taking off the dome, only because it is so much easier to work on. My egg sits on a table nest and is not enclosed so it is also very easy to "work on". Saw it somewhere, once the dome is off, I put an old blanket in the base and drop the dome upside down into the protected base. 
    @Chubbs has it right, scrape it, acetone it, rub it and then a final scrape. Get the old adhesive off and the new self stick gasket will go on easier and stay on much better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I think you can really do it either way. If you dont think you could get it set back correctly then by all means leave it on. Looks like on a XL it could be harder to replace it because to me looks like it has less space in the hinge area. I could be totally wrong I haven't looked at an xl in person. For me it took less than an hour. That included me trying to get the dome positioned better. My dome sat too far back. Looks like I may have to adjust just a tad bit more after seeing the thread on the rear grabbing a little. Looks like I need to tap the bottom band at the hinge up just a tad from what I see on line.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2013

I replaced mine with lid on and used the new hitemp gasket from BGE. No issues at all. I was standing facing the egg all the time and went around with the gasket, making sure NOT to stretch it but slightly bunching it up.

Make sure you clean with acetone first after scraping both surfaces clean with a utility knife blade. Then I took a small torch and burnt off any residual material, rubbed it clean with acetone again. Finally realigned the dome and tightened it all up. Good so far.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    edited March 2013
    mtasker said:
    replaced my first gasket last night.  not too hard but was wondering if anybody has replaced one without taking the lid off?  i think it can be done.
    I never take the lid off, but I am only using a gasket on the base.
    It works great and it only takes me around 10 min to do.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013

I took my lid off when I did it, but with XL, its simple to get the lid off.  Loosen to bolt and your done in a minute.
    I hear it's a lot more work with the other sizes.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Changed my gasket with the lid on. Don't know if I would try again. I had to patch a little toward the back but it hasn't caused any issues. I used the self adhesive gasket so stay wasn't an issue.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA