Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just heard that pop

Well I was sitting inside and I heard a loud pop from outside.  I knew instantly.

Sure enough I have a crack on my medium from the base to about halfway up. 

Crappy day just got crappier.

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Call da mothership. Do you have your warranty papers?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    That does suck! Damn dude!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Were you cooking and at what temp?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Sucks. A noise I never hope to hear
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

Were you cooking and at what temp?

?

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Yeah it sounds like a dumb question but depending on what temp the Egg was assembled at I've heard of bands being overtightened in assembly during winter and when the spring comes the egg cracks while it's just sitting there.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Not good, the worst sound other than that crunch your child's mouth makes when it hits the edge of the coffee table... Hope all goes well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @scottborasjr
    No man I ment I second that question. Sorry for the confusion

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    @MrCookingNurse no problem bud, just figured I would clarify anyway, I figured that's what you were saying.
    ;)
  • jigawatt
    jigawatt Posts: 20

Yeah it sounds like a dumb question but depending on what temp the Egg was assembled at I've heard of bands being overtightened in assembly during winter and when the spring comes the egg cracks while it's just sitting there.

Good to know. Since I got and assembled my large in January, I think I'll loosen the band a bit and tighten back up when we hit 80.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Ouch, hope warranty will kick in. That just sucks.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Scottborasjr
    @jigawatt I would assume you  would be fine, that is a worse case example of a dealer that assembled the Egg in a unheated warehouse that was well below freezing. I probably wouldn't loosen the band more then a quarter turn of each screw if you are actually thinking that you might have a issue.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Is this common? Makes me worried....been through one winter, summer assembly, no problems
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Scottborasjr
    @flemster I wouldn't think you would have any problems, just check that the bolts are tight every now and then. If you were going to have a problem it would have presented itself by now.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    It was not a band/bolt issue I can promise you that.  This medium is an older model and actually has a hole in the ceramic and a pin in the band.  The bottom band is on loose enough to just slide the whole dome and both band assembly off at any time.

I have cooked for 3+ years on this and gone nuclear many times. As well as many low and slows for 20+ hours.

It broke cooking a damned chicken pot pie (pie day) raised indirect.

Temp outside mid 40's.  Cooked many times below freezing and many times in the heat of the summer.  Very surprising and dissapointing pop.

Warranty: not sure will call today.  It was a gift. I do have papers for my XL.. maybe they will take pitty on me.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    it just sometimes happens, maybe a defect caught up with it. my first cracked egg happened about 3 years in during a 325 degree turkey cook, sounded like a shotgun echoing across the lake. if the bands were assembled when it was cold they would be looser when it warms up, not tighter, i know this because at 1200 degrees the dome WILL fall off if your not careful
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unfortunate that this randomly happens, even with the warranty coverage it's a concern of mine. Read about it enough times that it has made me decide against building a table. I'll stick with the nest. I plan to make a fire proof area in the backyard to roll my egg onto for overnighter piece of mind.
    Gittin' there...
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    That sucks!  
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Why is the table vs nest important? (I just got theEGG plus table)? Also - my dealer didn't give me any paperwork. Do I need some for warranty? Assumed the dealer took care of it.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    ddegger said:

Why is the table vs nest important? (I just got theEGG plus table)? Also - my dealer didn't give me any paperwork. Do I need some for warranty? Assumed the dealer took care of it.

I've been egg owner just over a year. I don't get the comment about keeping nest over table. I don't think the setup like that would matter.
    Boom
  • Scottborasjr
    I'm not going to question @fishlessman because he has more eggsperience then all of us put together, but the theory is that the ceramic expands as it gets hot so if you have a table cut to barely put the egg in it it could be detrimental to the table as well as the egg.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Scottborasjr said:
    I'm not going to question @fishlessman because he has more eggsperience then all of us put together, but the theory is that the ceramic expands as it gets hot so if you have a table cut to barely put the egg in it it could be detrimental to the table as well as the egg.
    If one follows the recommendation of BGE as to the size of the hole cut into the table I don't see this as a problem.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited March 2013
    My personal concern with wood tables is being potentially combustible under the right circumstances. The steel nest...not so much. There are some pictures out there that show some burned up tables and fractured eggs. Also read somewhere of a garage that was set on fire.

Of course I am sure there are plenty of people that have egged for years without any problems.

You should make sure the dealer gives you a receipt or registers a warranty in your name that you can verify online. Otherwise, you could be SOL if your egg cracks.
    Gittin' there...
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited March 2013
    The table nest and/or following BGE recommendations eliminates that issue as well.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I did a lot of reading through old bbq forum threads of all sorts.

I found one post interesting.. though I can't find it right now to repost but it basically said this can happen to almost all eggs.  The outside of the egg is enamel and this inside is not therefore the inside of the egg will absorb humidity.

He then went on to describe the exact conditions that I egged in: A few days of 50 degrees or so with rain/ very high humidity then a very quick cool down to almost freezing temps. The moisture absorbed by the inside of the egg ceramics freezes into small crystals and then when heated can pop a crack.

Don't know if this is true or not but it is exactly the conditions that cracked my MBGE. 

BTW, I think I am SOL on warranty :(