Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Any one see the XXL Big Green Egg?

Comments

• LitLit Posts: 3,637
    Its not available yet not even in production. Could be a month or longer only 2 currently exist.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,149
    Lit said:
    Its not available yet not even in production. Could be a month or longer only 2 currently exist.
    Only 2? That's a fight to the death door prize at Salado....
    ·
  • BjorgBjorg Posts: 233
    Even smaller micromini my brother in law bought this week end: 

Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,267
    We called the distributor to bring one to Salado. They have not seen one yet. Sorry.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    Now that's an Egg! I better start saving now. The wife is not going to be happy.
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,731
    edited March 2013
    GQuiz said:
    Bet it ways over 300 lbs.  
    The XL weighs 255 pounds without any sort of indirect pieces in it.  The XXL might weight 500 lbs.!!!

Individual XL weights:
    Base Weight = 125lb 
    Lid Weight = 56lb 
    Fire Box Weight = 37lb 
    Fire Ring Weight = 22lb 
    Fire Grate Weight = 15lb 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,452
    GQuiz said:
    Bet it ways over 300 lbs.  
    The XL weighs 255 pounds without any sort of indirect pieces in it.  The XXL might weight 500 lbs.!!!

Individual XL weights:
    Base Weight = 125lb 
    Lid Weight = 56lb 
    Fire Box Weight = 37lb 
    Fire Ring Weight = 22lb 
    Fire Grate Weight = 15lb 
    Yup. Weight by volume increases by the cube. If the shape of the XXL is the same of the XL, inflated like a balloon, it'll be about 1.92 times heavier than an XL. Conceivably, the ceramic is strong enough to support a wider circumference, so maybe its just somewhat wider, and not taller also. So maybe only 450.

·
  • Overkill IMO, get yourself 2 Large Eggs and outcook this unit all day long.

We'll have to buy a forklift to load that shipping box-LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • wftylerwftyler Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    I sort of see more as a "one-up" to the Kamado Joe 'Big Joe'.  Classic case of 'Race to the Top' with top prize going to biggest size.

Reminds me of about 15 years ago when Ford one-upped the Suburban with the Excursion.  I think we all know what happened in that experiment.  

This will probably be to BGE what the Ranch kettle is to Weber - a low volume seller with a limited audience.  And price will likely reflect that.

Bigger is better to a point - but practicality (which translates into sales and profits) keeps you around for the long haul.
    ·
  • lilwootylilwooty Posts: 210
    Nice micro mini fishlessman! I have an extra ceramic coaster if you need a plate setter for that bad boy.

Living Large and XL

·
  • TheCubTheCub Posts: 9
    Vendor here is not too high on the Eggzilla.  He said the lid is too heavy.
    Ain't no time like a good time!
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    550lbs according to those "in the know"
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 112
    This seems like a novelty thing.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522

IMHO its too big and may actually be cumbersome. Its probably good for the Food Network :))

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • I think the Mothership is using this XXL Egg as a final resting place for the "die-hard" eggers. They aren't actually manufacturing these for cooking purposes :)
    ·
  • nashbamanashbama Posts: 102
    I think for restaurant owners or caterers, the XXL would be very useful. For me personally, I've been able to cook everything I've wanted to just fine with my large.

It's a good point about the weight of the lid. I wonder if adding some kind of counter weight system would help with that?
    ·
  • chad408chad408 Posts: 140
    Bjorg said:

what is this thing called looks cool would like to have one.
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,833
    Bjorg said:

This is perfect for the times I only want to cook one artichoke heart

Boom
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,924
    google pu pu grills and alot show up, not suure if lump works in those without a lower vent though
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,029
    Whenever we go to the Chinese place in town they bring out a flaming tid bit platter with that thing in the middle of it. It's got some type of lava rock looking things burning in them with liquid.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • ronthorontho Posts: 109
    Bjorg said:

can you get a swing rack or AR for that?
    ·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 112
    The XXL would be handy for me this weekend. My wife voluntold me to cook for 110 people at church.
    ·
  • BjorgBjorg Posts: 233
    Thanks I didn't even know what it was called. We had a hard time finding one in store. 
    Quebec - Canada
    ·
    edited March 2013
    I can see where the xxl would come in handy. Now cooking mon - fri for my family of 3, or even for our parents making it 7 people, no way.

Would it be cool to have and be able to feed some folks!!! Oh yea!!!

I'd like to sell butts and stuff one day or do some type of expanded life in BBQ and would look into this thing for sure.

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    If you feel you "HAVE" to have this and you are not a restaurant, you have to be compensating for something!  Just sayin...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,149
    If you feel you "HAVE" to have this and you are not a restaurant, you have to be compensating for something!  Just sayin...
    I sure am. I will be compensating for the too-small medium for packer briskets. It makes me feel emasculated when I read all you large-r fellows posts about banging out awesome meat.  
    ·
  • I wonder how many packer briskets you could fit on one of those?

·
  • The whole cow
    ·
  • Think I'll hold out for the uber nasty xXxL

·
    edited March 2013

I don't exactly understand @eggcelsior 's comeback, but I would only assume a man with a big grill has a big piece of meat on it. B-)

·