Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Brisket

Options
Alton
Alton Posts: 509
10.5 lb untrimmed Brisket. Went ahead and made a slather of yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. I than rubbed BGE Savory Pecan seasoning and then placed in the refrigerator until tomorrow night. Plan on reapplying the rub right before putting in the egg. Which chunks should I use , Apple or Pecan??? Stay tuned...will post pictures as the process unfolds .. What do you think of the plan?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    If you can't decide between apple and pecan, use both.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Apple and pecan are my two favorites. Either way make sure you mix in the lump. Good luck. Briskets can be tough
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Alton
    Options
    @chubbs what do you thing about me mixing them?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I think it will be a nice blend. Look forward to you reporting back
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • mangasb
    mangasb Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm tuned in.  Looking forward to updates.  Apple and pecan will be a nice mix.  Yellow mustard is a standard and will help with the bark.  Good luck.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    check the label on the BGE pecan rub. I haven't used it in a while but if I remeber right, it has MSG. it might have been the original BGE rub but I know one of them has it. If it does, i would skip the 2nd rub or it may be too salty. I like that rub fine but MSG can be overpowering if you use too much.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Alton
    Options
    check the label on the BGE pecan rub. I haven't used it in a while but if I remeber right, it has MSG. it might have been the original BGE rub but I know one of them has it. If it does, i would skip the 2nd rub or it may be too salty. I like that rub fine but MSG can be overpowering if you use too much.

Thanks for the heads up bit it looks like I'm good. INGREDIENTS Sugar, salt, spices, paprika, parsley flakes, dextrose, natural smoke flavor, maltodextrin, flavor from vegetable oil, modified food starch, corn syrup solids, onion powder, lemon oil, less than 2% sodium aluminosilicate added to prevent caking. No MSG.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Alton said:

Thanks for the heads up bit it looks like I'm good. INGREDIENTS Sugar, salt, spices, paprika, parsley flakes, dextrose, natural smoke flavor, maltodextrin, flavor from vegetable oil, modified food starch, corn syrup solids, onion powder, lemon oil, less than 2% sodium aluminosilicate added to prevent caking. No MSG.

Perfect. I started to thnk it might have been the original BGE rub that had it but didn't want you to MSG bomb your first try.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Alton
    Options
    Here we go....
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Drink enough pecan ale it will taste great! Let us know how it finishes