Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef help

I have two 4lb corned beef briskets.  I put on at 12:30 @ 275 indirect.  Checked at 3:30 and had an internal of 165* so I foil wrapped, toweled and put in a cooler for 1.5 hrs.  The taste seems pretty tough. 

Thoughts?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Needed to go to about 195.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • So just put back on?  Foiled or unfoiled?  I plan on using it all to make hash.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd put it on foiled if you want it done faster.  Might be salty - corned beef is usually boiled, so taste before you add any salt to the hash.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• nolaegghead
    You're looking for it to be tender - if you stab it with a thermometer probe it should go in like buttah.  Since that brisket was cured, it doesn't take as much heat as an uncured chunk of brisket which usually gets tender around 190-210.  So it might be done before 190.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• nolaegghead
    I'm riding shotgun....on a Macbook Pro with hot spot on phone....no worries!  And post how it comes out so we all learn from your experience....

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I'm doing one tomorrow @erniemcclain let me know how it turned out please.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Man, corned beef is meant to be boiled. It's supposed to season the cabbage and potatoes.You should have rinsed them in about ten changes of water for pastrami.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well, I am back.  The corned beef did get LOTS more tender.  Thanks to all for the advice.  I was need to remember that this is more like a regular brisket and not a prime rib.  I seem to want to undercook stuff on the egg.  Sorry but no pics.  Chopped the corned beef, baked 10 lbs of potatoes on the egg and diced.  Onion, garlic, green, red and yellow peppers with 3 sticks of melted butter.  All sitting overnight in the refrigerator.  Will serve in the am along with scrambled eggs and biscuits.  Happy St Patricks Day to all. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska