Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Help Fix My Pork Shoulder Failure (Again)

Took another shot at a pork shoulder today to take for dinner to a couple at our church who just had a baby.  This is just a 5lb shoulder.  Set my Maverick probes up and threw it on with the grate temp at 230 degrees.  About an hour later, the temp started dropping and before i knew it, grate temp was at 185.  Propped up my shop fan to try and increase the air flow and get the temp back up but no luck so I relit a starter cube to get the fire going again. Here is where I screwed up...I got busy with some work, forgot about it and next thing I know, it's roaring at 550 degree and the shoulder internal temp was reading over 300 degrees!

That was about 15 minutes ago.  Pulled the shoulder off, shut the grates and am now not sure what I should do.  Internal temp is reading 260 right now and holding steady it seems and the BGE is at 375 and dropping (slowly).  From the moment I put it on the BGE until the time of this post has only been an hour and a half.  Is this thing dog food or can I save it?

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I would check to see if it shreds, and of course taste it.  If it is good, you may have invented "super-turbo" butt.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i have never seen that done before
    :)) maybe foil it with sauce and braise it till it falls apart
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I'm glad this was just a small one and not too expensive!  Follow-up question:  Any opinions on the best place to buy pulled pork in Austin?  I'm still going to have to bring these people dinner!  haha
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    tgkleman said:
    I would check to see if it shreds, and of course taste it.  If it is good, you may have invented "super-turbo" butt.
    More like turbo butt, Warp 5 engaged

Or hyperspace butt if you're of the SW persuasion.

OP, Have you checked temp in multiple places? I would expect that you would be staring at charcoal at 260 internal. I wonder if the heat did something to the probe? I'd go with Fishless' recs or run to the store and grab some ribs. Turbo them in 90 to 100 minutes. Give the butt to the dogs for a chew toy if all seems lost.
  • @Eggcelsior, you're spot on.  I pulled out my Thermapen and the internal temp was 120.  Must have fried my probes.  I threw it back on so we'll see what happens with it when it gets back to the proper internal temp.  Chalk this one up as a learning experience.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Great! Good luck with the rest of the cook.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    When it hits 160, wrap in foil with a little apple juice and take off egg when IT reaches 195.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Keep dome temp @ 350 after foiling

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299

tgkleman said:

More like turbo butt, Warp 5 engaged

Or hyperspace butt if you're of the SW persuasion.

Or Ludicrous speed! Spaceballs: The Pork Butt
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes