Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado Important Info (for real)

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

Travis looks like he has been drinking. I assure you he has not.

That means a lot coming from you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Travis told me he would have his medical bag with him (said the man who ended up cutting both hands deep last year).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

OK, so I am looking for some guidance for Friday - as far as what to bring/cook.

I get that there are no real rules/guidance per se, but I'd like to optimally contribute in an effort to take this year's fest up to 11.

For Saturday, we're planning on cooking a pineapple/bacon/ceviche shrimp appetizer with raspberry chipotle bbq sauce for the actual fest.  Based on the website we were thinking of 3 batches of 30 of these for cooking and consumption during the fest.  First question - will that be enough?

Second question - the way I see it, the options for Friday are:

1) Plan to do a batch or two of the same appetizer I plan for Saturday so I can fine tune the process a little - and make sure that the party people get to try some of it.

2) Just show up with a cooler of beer and eat a few pounds of Nola's vampire sausage - and whatever else others bring.

3) Plan to cook something else on Friday - like some veggies that might complement what others are bringing.

Any suggestions on which way to go with this?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Foghorn: I like the way you think, especially #2 above, but veggies are for sissies :). No harm in previewing your ceviche Fri night. I find that people are full of all kinds of advice after a couple of beers. On the other hand, making something different, but easier, might enjoy the party more. SWMBO gets annoyed sometimes when I'm so busy cooking that I don't get to hang with guests much (but sometimes I prefer it that way!)

I'm planning on doing something similar except for the cooking part. I will be popping my Eggfest cherry at Salado, but I will try to cook at next year's bash. See ya there!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Travis looks like he has been drinking. I assure you he has not.
    Smoking on the other hand....

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Mickey
    Options
    Foghorn said:

OK, so I am looking for some guidance for Friday - as far as what to bring/cook.

I get that there are no real rules/guidance per se, but I'd like to optimally contribute in an effort to take this year's fest up to 11.

For Saturday, we're planning on cooking a pineapple/bacon/ceviche shrimp appetizer with raspberry chipotle bbq sauce for the actual fest.  Based on the website we were thinking of 3 batches of 30 of these for cooking and consumption during the fest.  First question - will that be enough?

Second question - the way I see it, the options for Friday are:

1) Plan to do a batch or two of the same appetizer I plan for Saturday so I can fine tune the process a little - and make sure that the party people get to try some of it.

2) Just show up with a cooler of beer and eat a few pounds of Nola's vampire sausage - and whatever else others bring.

3) Plan to cook something else on Friday - like some veggies that might complement what others are bringing.

Any suggestions on which way to go with this?

Think of Friday as a pot luck (with beer and wine and ???) with most of it good stuff. For god's sake lose the Number 3 and don't tell my wife I said that.
    BIGGEST THING I CAN TELL YOU: Do not cook all day. Enjoy your fellow Eggheads, enjoy the food. Cook a couple of hours and enjoy 3 times that. This is for you to spend your money on food, travel, hotel to feed others who might buy a Big Green Egg. Let's see, I was making a point....................
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    We're supposed to feed this guy...? Hope he passes out early.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Got home from work and I've been packing up stuff like it's the armageddon ever since.  I'll put eagle scouts to shame.
    Options
    Got home from work and I've been packing up stuff like it's the armageddon ever since.  I'll put eagle scouts to shame.
    I live a 5 min walk from the Inn. What ever you forgot or just don't want to pack will only take a second to replace.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks Mickey.  We're in the 90% plus percentile for being prepared, but if we missed something, I'll be grateful.  :)

BTW - I registered everyone I expect to be there in my extended party.  We have 5 rooms for a combination of days at the Inn.  Leaving tomorrow morning to SA. See ya Friday!
    Options
    I will be the only guy there older than VI.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I thought he held the record for being the oldest guy alive.  Hmmmm...
    Options
    I packed the beer cooler.  We're going to buy the food supplies in Salado/Belton/Temple on Friday morning... or maybe just bring the cooler... and eat all of your food...

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Options
    You just have to understand VI. He stands 4' 9.5" tall and like men that size comes issues. Then he bought that Vespa " lookalike" and and used 6 cans of spray paint (on closeout) to color it something like blackish. Now you can't say **** about it or he starts coughing. Now I like him, but I was to enter the priesthood last month.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    So "Pam" is probably an imaginary wife, and all those house pictures were jacked from Architectural Digest.  I dig. ;)
    edited March 2013
    Options
    In case VI is reading this, I'd rather clear up the matter of hyperbole - that rhetorical device was indeed used in the last few posts of mine on this thread.  Mickey, on the other hand, is being completely serious.  Please don't shank me with the kickstand on your Vespa, VI.  I kid, I kid.... :)
    Options
    So "Pam" is probably an imaginary wife, and all those house pictures were jacked from Architectural Digest.  I dig. ;)

No Pam is for real. I have talked to her a couple of times. You could not find a finer Lady. This all started in her "Rush" week freshman year. Pam had never had liquor in her life. These girls were viscous in the wilds of "Rush". Pam was driven into downtown Houston very late one night. The real story has never came to light. But the upbringing and the "Lady of her inner sole" made Pam stay with this very short and odd little man all these years. My God, what horrors happened to that poor young girl that night. Pam is a Saint nolaegghead.

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Now guys if I should have any facts not 100% you know VI would say something here on the forum to correct it. I think is silence speaks volumes. And guys please don't say anything about his sad blackish banged up Vespa. The man has some pride and the coughing fit it would cause us to bring in EMS for sure. Let him keep his self respect and act like it is some out-of-this-world custom Harley. That's what he calls it. I miss my little friend.

• Pendejo
    Pendejo Posts: 22
    Options
    Señoras y señores. Traducir mi nombre y usted puede entender lo que soy.

Hasta Salado.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Bienvenido de nuevo, le he echado de menos
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Pendejo
    Options
    Grácias, mi amigo.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Pendejo   Do you drive a blackesh vespa that you have Harley printed on the side? And your BFF is a really good guy that lives in Salado?

• Pendejo
    Options
    No entiendo Inglés, señor.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    El tonto del pueblo,

Menos mal que mi esposa habla español y me llama todo el tiempo, yo sabía de inmediato

Bienvenido de nuevo, señor bueno

Lamentablemente, no estoy tan versado. Traductor Google es mi amigo
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Options

Pendejo  Apuesto a que tu esposa es una santa.

Now also Traductor Google es mi amigo. So if it screwed up saint, that is what I was trying for.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Supongo que habrá un montón de tequilla en Salado?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Mickey Yeah, you right.  VI would certainly chime in on any inaccuracies.  He's probably on the Vespa heading out to Salado right now with Pam on the back.  Since those things only go about the same speed as a Mississippi river barge, it's a prolonged road trip from Houston.  VI, may you have a tail wind so you can at least do 20 mph.
    Options
    Supongo que habrá un montón de tequilla en Salado?
    Ron y coca cola con limón. El vino también.

¡ Grácias, Eggcelsior !
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The only Spanish i know is "#3 with rice and beans".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    The only Spanish i know is "#3 with rice and beans".
    Don't forget this one after those beans:

¿Dónde está el cuarto de baño?