Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Question

I was reading a few discussions earlier and there was a comment about what a PITA it is when you open the egg and the daisy wheel changes position and you have to reset it.  Someone commented to "line the bolts up".  I looked at my daisy wheel this weekend while doing a Spatchcock chicken and I couldn't figure out what that meant.

Is there any way to keep the daisy wheel position when opening and closing your egg, other than very very carefully removing it (using high temp gloves) or using tape?!
Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I hope this doest come accross rude.

You line up the screws to where gravity will take effect when you open the lid. It's a complex process burried in common sense.

I'll take a picture of it in a min.

As you adjust your daisy wheel for temperature settings, this "happy" place will change. You always want to keep the screw and plate lined up towards the front of the egg with the plate hanging backwards, so when you open the egg, nothing moves.

Or do like @mickey and throw your daisy in a water bath for a few years until its rusted shut.

XLBGE 
  • My solution is simple.  I don't use it over 300.  Under 300 is a low & slow and I don't spend time opening the egg too much.  "If you're lookin', then you're not cookin'."
    Flint, Michigan
  • blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    My solution is simple.  I don't use it over 300.  Under 300 is a low & slow and I don't spend time opening the egg too much.  "If you're lookin', then you're not cookin'."
    I don't open the egg but to put the meat on after it has come up to temp and maybe put more wood chips if a long cook.  Other than that, it stays shut!
  • blueinatl
    I hope this doest come accross rude. You line up the screws to where gravity will take effect when you open the lid. It's a complex process burried in common sense. I'll take a picture of it in a min. As you adjust your daisy wheel for temperature settings, this "happy" place will change. You always want to keep the screw and plate lined up towards the front of the egg with the plate hanging backwards, so when you open the egg, nothing moves. Or do like @mickey and throw your daisy in a water bath for a few years until its rusted shut.
    Nope, not rude, makes perfect sense!
  • MrCookingNurse
    Ok here are some pics. Notice how in each pic as I have opened the wheel I have moved it to make the screw forward to the handle and gravity will hold the setting on the plate when opened.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This is a common question. Another good example of why the forum needs stickies. As Fred mentioned, higher temps no daisy wheel for me either. But I do use it more than most. Also as you cook with it it'll get greasy and that will help it stick.

XLBGE 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013

The Naked Whiz shows and explains in detail:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• MrCookingNurse
    @chokeonsmoke

Thanks man. I knew I had seen pics drawn before.

This should cure any problem you had bud!

XLBGE 
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    OR....the word Big Green Egg to your left.
    Brandon, MS
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    @chokeonsmoke Thanks man. I knew I had seen pics drawn before. 
    Your pics illustrate it pretty darn well too, didn't see your post before I posted the whiz site.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• blueinatl
    Thanks all, so very simple and now I feel silly for staring at the egg for a good 10 minutes this weekend trying to figure it out.  oy!
  • blueinatl
    Thanks all, so very simple and now I feel silly for staring at the egg for a good 10 minutes this weekend trying to figure it out.  oy!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    blueinatl said:
    Welcome - you are now a member of the cult, the first "what was I thinking, or maybe not thinking moment" has happened. I think we all tend to look for complex solutions when the simple one is right in front of us - we've all been there. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!