Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turning beef meat once or twice?

Options
Except the visual effect of the grill marks is there any advantage of turning your steak twice?
Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    In Adam perry langs book charred and scruffed he turns constantly to baste the meat. Also it gives the meet a bit of a rest to help with overcooking on that side IMHO
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I always figured, if you keep fiddling, you got problems or are not confident in what your doing.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited March 2013
    Options
    According to Harold McGee:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/08/harold-mcgee-on-flipping-steaks-resting-meat-and-char-from-electric-grills/

"frequent flipping cooks the meat more evenly, and also significantly faster: flip every minute instead of once or twice and the meat will be done in a third less time. This works because neither side has time to absorb a lot of heat when facing the fire or to lose heat when facing away. You don’t get neat grill marks or the best char this way, but with high enough heat the surface develops plenty of flavor"

Options
    Fiddling is what it's all about for high heat. At least twice but could be three or four or more timesdepending on thickness, intensity of the heat, desired final state, etc.. The first two are to sear each side as quickly as possible. The next one or two to control internal temp and avoid overcooking past desired internal temp and keep sides evenly seared/cooked. There's also the reverse sear method .....
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    tjv said:
    I always figured, if you keep fiddling, you got problems or are not confident in what your doing.......

t
    On the contrary; for the typical supermarket ribeye (3/4" thick) I cook for two minutes, flip, cook for two more minutes then repeat. eight minutes to perfect medium rare with perfect char and decent grill marks every time. I couldn't BE any more "confident in what I'm doing".

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

I did the grilling for the family when I was just a wee kid.  My mom would scream at me if I flipped the meat (hamburgers, steaks) more than once!  She'd say that if you flip it more than once you'll lose all the juice.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    that  "flip once" rumor is total BS

I did the grilling for the family when I was just a wee kid.  My mom would scream at me if I flipped the meat (hamburgers, steaks) more than once!  She'd say that if you flip it more than once you'll lose all the juice.

that  "flip once" rumor is total BS
    BS or not, it's hard to undo something you've been doing for 30 years.  In my case Choke, it was my Dad telling me I would probably ruin supper if I flipped more than once.  He was supervising from afar with a beer or a scotch & soda in his hand.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    My basketball coach would always say, as you were walking out of his history class to the bathroom, "if you flip it more than twice, your just playing with it"

Wait... It's shake it... Somehow it applies here

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We all spout BS from time to time.  mea culpa.  :D