Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

amd i need help again....

Options
So I put my brisket on at around six this morning. It is 11.5 lbs and I have been keeping the temperature right around 200 all day. Ten hours later my internal temp is at 150. I have a six year old and a almost two year old. Is there any way to speed up the cooking without drying it out? I don't want to put it in the oven unless I have to. We can snack for a while but don't I have to wrap it in foil and let it sit for a couple hours?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Others who are more experienced then I will comment but I would bump temp up to 250-275* first.  That's a big piece of meat to speed up.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nineee
    nineee Posts: 41
    Options
    I always thought wrapping in foil was cheating but I do it anyway and so does Bobby Flay.  Can't help you out for right now but check his website.  He did  brisket on the BGE and still wrapped it in foil and put in the oven.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Cooking at 200 is too low - you want brisket internal temp to hit somewhere in the 195-210 range (fork twist test), and you'll never get there.  You can definitely bump temp up to 275 plus, but I would probably make other plans for dinner tonight - you have a ways to go and still need to get through the stall.  My recollection of my last brisket about that size cooked at roughly 250 was an overnighter that took 16+ hours.  Best of luck.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Bump your temp up to 275 and order a pizza for tonight 200 is too low.
    Did you read you last post? We told you to bump the temp up at noon today
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    So what happened to the brisket?

XLBGE 
  • McQ
    McQ Posts: 10
    Options
    Sorry y'all brisket came out pretty good. I ended up wrapping it in foil and adding a little bit of salt lick BBQ sauce then bumping the temp up to °325. Finally I got the internal temperature to °190 at around 730. I shut all the vents and let it rest for about an hour and a half. Thanks for the help and I'll make sure to take pictures next time
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    What was IT when you pulled it? Was it tough at 190?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • McQ
    McQ Posts: 10
    Options
    The thinner part was a little tough but it was still good. I was satisfied with it being my first time.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    You will always remember your first time. :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .