Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Granite outside

Who all has used granite on the outdoor deck for a table top for the egg? Building a new deck this weekend and ordered a piece today. Any special precautions, etc. I need to consider. I am assuming silicone will hold it in place. Will post some pics when the deck and built in table are done. Thanks for any tips
In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
·

Comments

• BjorgBjorg Posts: 237
    I fixed mine with silicone and sealed it with some granite sealer that I will need to re-coat yearly (simple process with a cloth). I have put hot cast iron on it without issues. Congrats on the purchase, you will love it. 

Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • bo31210bo31210 Posts: 406
    Thanks for the info. I like the picture. Mind if I copy some of those angles? That looks sharp
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,697
    @bo31210- Now we are talking about something I can actually help with cause this is what I have done for the last ten yrs.What is the color name of the granite you picked? Some granites have a resin coating on them that are not UV stable so are not suitable for direct sunlight. These are usually Brazilian in origin While other granites have no resin. These usually come from India. If you can give me a name I can tell you if you need to take any precautions.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    Thanks for the info. I will get the name tmrw and let ya know. It is black with some green. No help I know lol.
    ·
  • DJKrageDJKrage Posts: 15
    @bo31210- Now we are talking about something I can actually help with cause this is what I have done for the last ten yrs.What is the color name of the granite you picked? Some granites have a resin coating on them that are not UV stable so are not suitable for direct sunlight. These are usually Brazilian in origin While other granites have no resin. These usually come from India. If you can give me a name I can tell you if you need to take any precautions.
    I just finished my table build and used a free  piece of granite that I have no idea where it cane from. Can you tell from the photo if there is any special precautions I should take. BTW It is covered most of the time.

·
    Thanks! I dont mind at all. As a matter a fact, I posted the plans available on Google sketch up, feel free to use them. 
    Quebec - Canada
    ·
    @DJKrage- it looks like your is a Black Pearl which comes from India. Generally no resin is applied to this stone. With it being covered most of the time you shouldn't have any worries either way.

·
    Mattman Checked with the place I am getting it and the name is uba tuba (not making it up). Thanks for any info you can share
    ·
    UBA TUBA is a stone that has been around forever. It will be fine outside. I would suggest small dots of silicone in each corner to keep if from scooting around but still will have some flexibility when your wood frame moves from temp and moisture variations. On a side note take a pic of your UBA TUBA when you get and then a year after you have had it outside, if it is in direct sunlight there is a mineral in it that will oxidize and start turning gold. It happens so gradual you won't notice but it does get an awesome effect after a year or so.

·
    That sounds cool. The changing over time adds character. It will be in direct sun most of the time. Thanks Matt!
    ·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299

Here are some pictures of my UBA TUBA for comparison

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
    Jason, how old are your tops? I haven't seen nice UT like that in a few yrs

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    Jason, how old are your tops? I haven't seen nice UT like that in a few yrs
    I'd estimate that granite is at least 600 million years old ;)

·
    Tru Dat Nola!! :D

·
  • gpsegggpsegg Posts: 338
    If your granite is in the sun , it will get so hot you will not be able to put your arms on it.....from South Florida. We were advised against using it and used marble instead. ....for what its worth.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blue Ridge, Ga.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    But marble, unlike granite, will not be able to handle a hot platesetter being placed on it.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • gpsegggpsegg Posts: 338
    Aviator is right.....marble will not handle a platesetter...would need to have something else on the surface...
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blue Ridge, Ga.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    perhaps a.....trivet?!

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,222
    perhaps a.....trivet?!

Haha. I bet you can buy one with Big Green Egg on it for $50....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Ideally limestone would be the best when it comes to dealing with the elements. It is always cooler than marble or granite, will not etch from the acid rain and will not be affected by heat up to about 1500 degrees, the thing is cookin grease is the enemy

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Bjorg said:
    I fixed mine with silicone and sealed it with some granite sealer that I will need to re-coat yearly (simple process with a cloth). I have put hot cast iron on it without issues. Congrats on the purchase, you will love it. 

You are in la belle provence aren't you. I'm torn between granite and concrete. Have you been through a coupla winters yet?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

Thanks to all for their input     Will get it setup this weekend and try and post pics

·
  • MattyMcMattyMc Posts: 65

Granite has been working out for me for the past 2 years...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1124521/new-patio-for-the-egg#latest

Chester County, PA
    ·
    edited March 2013
    Little Steven, I am in la belle province indeed! This was my first winter with the egg and granite table. I bought a custom made cover for it, mostly for easy snow removal. Winter is not an issue for granite from what I gather.  

I considered both concrete and granite. I think that granite is more durable and prettier than concrete, but god damn it is more expansive. I searched for a very good deal on granite all summer and finally pulled the trigger. 

Here are some useful links if you do go the concrete route (my original plan):

I would of went charcoal color:
    Quebec - Canada
    ·
    Quick update...... Deck is 90% complete after 2 days and the egg portion is the same. Hope to finish it one night this week and will post pics then. Off to bed. Desk job doesn't lend to building decks on the weekend! Ha
    ·
    Got the granite set this evening and a pic of the overall deck. Welcome spring!
    image.jpg 2.9M
    image.jpg 2.8M
    ·
    Looks good

·
    Finally got the egg moved to its new home after a trip back to the granite place. Always double check the size of the hole before ordering! It was about an inch or so to small, so after getting that enlarged, it fits perfect. If you look at the picture, it's smiling lol.
    image.jpg 1.7M
    ·