Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chips or Chunks?

So far I have only used chips. For long smokes I am thinking chunks are better. Does it really just depend on if I am going for a long cook compared to a short one?
·

Comments

• ArbucklejArbucklej Posts: 90
    I prefer chunks just for the sole fact that you only have to load them up once. Chips will get the job done though.
    ·
  • I've gone to chunks only, mainly for lack of storage room.  Just one or two small ones for short cooks.  I'll try to be more stategic about where I place them on longer cooks and use the bigger chunks.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Mostly chunks, but I like the Jack Daniels Chips. I have a thing for Bourbon!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 2,804
    I have never done a low and slow, but when I do am going to use chunks because I don't want to have to keep adding chips. 

@smokindawg82 I am also using Jack Daniels chips! 
    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,510
    There is always this way....

Once again, Thank you @Stike

·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Chunks all the way.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,475
    I have never done a low and slow, but when I do am going to use chunks because I don't want to have to keep adding chips. 

@smokindawg82 I am also using Jack Daniels chips! 
    Will not be a problem with chips or chunks. You mix the chips in with the lump, not all in the same place. Because the fire is very small, some of the chips might not smoke for hours. I've had mesquite chips still not burned after a 10 hour cook. I forgot to take them out, and when I did some ABTs on the next cook they had a distinct mesquite taste, not bad, just not expected. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 201

+1 on the chunks especially if its a longer cook.

I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,429
    I use both.  Learned it from Stike.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,693
    Where is Stike?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·