Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boneless Turkey Breast Help

I need to cook two large breasts. I am wondering if direct or indirect would be better. What temp? Thanks,
·

Comments

• 500500 Posts: 1,644
    edited March 2013

Curt, usually someone would have responded to this question by now.  For chicken or turkey, I do a "raised direct" method, meaning I have the BGE grill extender on the main grate, to raise it into the dome more, for more of a convection oven effect, and less potential for burning.  I usually go about 350 raised direct, and towards the end, the chicken juices drop on the coals and create some additional smoke flavoring.  Chicken takes about an hour this way; 160 internal breast and 180 internal for the dark meat. 

Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • The only time I've done turkey breast, I did it indirect for about the same time and temp as 500.  With a few chunks of apple wood, it turned out really good.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    edited March 2013

I've done a bunch of bunch of boneless turkey breasts and always go indirect at 350 as well. Check out my attempt.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149208

I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,818
    My vote is for 400 raised direct.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·