Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanted to make ribs but nooooooo

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I do not like them because they are always dried out.  Not just Egg cooks - all cooks unless BURIED in a sauce of some sort.   Straight up spatchcock chicken is great off the Egg.  The next day - cardboard.  Reheated from frozen - bleh. 

Ever have a frozen Bubba Burger? - Yummy but loaded with fat - thats why they taste good.

Garnerville, NY
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    :-S

That's all I got....

XLBGE 
  • robnybbq
    Maybe I just dont know how to cook or understand it.  Maybe I dont know how to store the food so its not dried out..  I've been trying to figure this out for sometime and I can't get it.  I tried to make bulk meals but ruined the leftovers. 

Do you just reheat frozen spatchcock and eat it like that or are you putting it in a soup, sauce, other vessel?  Sure pizza toppings but that would require another Egg cook and the point was to prepare foods to make fast during the week and just reheat.  If I am going to fire the Egg it will be for a new full meal since it takes a while for me to get it going.  I just dont get it. 

Chilli leftovers work but that is a sauce with stuff that is not healthy.

I am talking about plain lean meat cooked on the Egg.  Steak, chicken (Cant cook it normal either) pork.  Do I just cook a steak, place it in a zip lock and into the fridge?  Take it out 3 days later and cook it in the oven or stove in a pan or microwave?  Tried it and its dried out.  Its edible if I take a bottle of steak or BBQ sauce and smother it but whats the point of eating it healthy then? 

I am trying allot of things all at once.  The health issue is a huge issue - especially that I have endangered our 8 year old daughter as she has high cholesterol/triglycerides.  Trying to learn to be healthy, trying to save money,  Trying to make the kids happy.

Life just gets too damn busy.

Garnerville, NY
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Pacuare said:
    If your SWMBO stays at home, teach her how to use it. That way you can come home to ribs during the week. :-bd

The second rule of Eggin' is that you SWMBO does not touch the Egg!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    robnybbq said:
    Maybe I just dont know how to cook or understand it.  Maybe I dont know how to store the food so its not dried out..  I've been trying to figure this out for sometime and I can't get it.  I tried to make bulk meals but ruined the leftovers. 

Do you just reheat frozen spatchcock and eat it like that or are you putting it in a soup, sauce, other vessel?  Sure pizza toppings but that would require another Egg cook and the point was to prepare foods to make fast during the week and just reheat.  If I am going to fire the Egg it will be for a new full meal since it takes a while for me to get it going.  I just dont get it. 

Chilli leftovers work but that is a sauce with stuff that is not healthy.

I am talking about plain lean meat cooked on the Egg.  Steak, chicken (Cant cook it normal either) pork.  Do I just cook a steak, place it in a zip lock and into the fridge?  Take it out 3 days later and cook it in the oven or stove in a pan or microwave?  Tried it and its dried out.  Its edible if I take a bottle of steak or BBQ sauce and smother it but whats the point of eating it healthy then? 

I am trying allot of things all at once.  The health issue is a huge issue - especially that I have endangered our 8 year old daughter as she has high cholesterol/triglycerides.  Trying to learn to be healthy, trying to save money,  Trying to make the kids happy.

Life just gets too damn busy.
    Some things are better heated up in the micro, some better on the cooktop or oven.  Right now i have an unpulled pork butt heating up in the oven at 300 degrees.  The whole house smells great !!  I am heating it in it's original tin foil and i will pull it as though it just came off the egg.  Just consider what can be heated up where without drying out..   Leftover things like steak, which i don't cook FOR leftovers, should be nuked..
  • robnybbq
    What are some examples of meals cooked on the egg that can be reheated that are not dried out? What types of meals are good to have in the house that can be cooked fast - egg or no egg? These have to be healthy and low carb. That eliminates most stuff kept in he cabinets.

Reheating frozen pulled pork. How and how to serve it? Defrost it for a day and put it with a sauce? Same wih frozen chicken? How? I can't cook chicken breasts as it is let alone rehearing? What about uncooked meat? They all need to be defrosted for a day or two first? Can't take frozen pork chops or chicken cutlet wih to he grill.

Garnerville, NY
  • Charlie tuna
    I do not freeze my "intended" leftovers.  Take spatchcocked chicken.  Three days ago i cooked two whole chickens, as easy to cook two as one.  Now i don't ALWAYS do this, but i plan my cooks ahead of time.  The reason i cooked two spatchcocked chickens was i needed some chicken thighs for a soup we like called "chicken gumbo"!  So the spatchcocked chicken was used the same night for dinner along with sides.  Two days later, the leftover chicken thighs from the spatchocked chicken was used for the "chicken gumbo" soup which is intended for lunches.  That same night the wings and breasts leftovers from that cook was consumed with totally different sides.  In this case the unfrozen chicken(two days old) was re-heated in the microwave oven.  The original two chickens will yield three adults -- two dinners and three lunches.  This is not intended to save money, but rather provide excellent meals 
  • MrCookingNurse

Pacuare said:

If your SWMBO stays at home, teach her how to use it. That way you can come home to ribs during the week. :-bd

My wife is trained to be co-pilot and has saved many a cooks! She text me temps and maverick temps, she can adjust vent settings and pulls when done ad shuts it down. With my job I always have chance of having to run to work.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Man sorry to hear that. Has your family been tested for familial hypercholesterolemia? 8 years old is just way to young bud.

XLBGE 
  • robnybbq
    edited March 2013
    I have metabolic syndrome x - meaning high bad blood levels but sugar still good. My doctor says she wants me on low carb and low fat. low carb is egg friendly but not low fat. A bunch of blood tests were done for our daughter. We saw a nutritionist for our daughter and she thinks its the carbs by going by here numbers and what she eats. Pasta a few nights a week. Fast food joints. Ice cream, will add up fast. Mine are high and we eat the same foods but I add alcohol to my list. Ou daughter will eat anything off the egg though. She loves spatchcock chiken with a coffee rub on it. Loves it. She likes the pulled pork, pork chops, steak, fish and others as long as its not spicy. She likes veggies too. It's the adults that don't.

Lots of the bad meals is because we don't plan well or we get home late. It's very frustrating. Very. Just don't know how to plan well and shop well. Add the fact hat I get home from work around 7:00 means no egg weeknights and usually bad meals.

Garnerville, NY
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I did a little eggsperiment tonight. Old lump. Weedburner XL I'm at 350 degrees in 4minutes and 21 secs will now go and prep lamb chops. I bet dinner is done in under 30 minutes.
    Lynnwood WA
  • robnybbq
    Btw we are usually in a rush in the evenings and do not know how to make quick healthy meals. Could not cook on Sunday so there were no leftovers either.

Garnerville, NY
  • Charlie tuna
    You really think your egg is "stabilized" in 4 minutes and 21 seconds??  Really "stabilized" ?
  • double
    No it's stabilizing whilst I prep. Don't need it stable for lamb chops just need the cast iron hot :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • Charlie tuna
    Agree to that !!
  • robnybbq
    edited March 2013
    I do not see how in 4 minutes without gasoline. Are you lighting every piece of lump? If I use the mapp torch I even if i get a few coals red there is no way I have that large egg up to 350 for at least 15 - 20 minutes. Even wide open lid up. What am I doing wrong in lighting the egg?

Garnerville, NY
  • double
    I'm using a propane weed burner full boar all around I started this fire at 6.12 its now 6.39pm and they are coming off
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lynnwood WA
  • robnybbq
    So the mapp torch is not good since it only lights a 1 inch spot? Your method makes more sense lighting across all the lump. Guess I am doing it wrong.

Garnerville, NY
  • A weed burner is bigger than a mapp torch. I use mine and hold it in one spot for 20 seconds. If lighting multiple spots, repeat. I get up to temp very quickly. I also have a High-Que grate which helps airflow big time!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Just about anything you would like to eat can be made in a healthy fashion.  They may not taste exactly the same, but with the right seasoning they can still be tasty.  Chilli, use turkey instead of beef, lasagna, use less noodles and cheese and add spinach or eggplant.  I could go on and on but I hope you get the point.  We used to get a magazine Cooking Light.  We don't anymore, but it provided a good base of info on how to substitute ingredients to make healthier dishes of all kinds, you just can't be afraid to experiment.  You'll get some clunkers, but you'll also find some dishes you may like better than the original.  I know for me eggplant lasagna is one of those.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Just about anything you would like to eat can be made in a healthy fashion.  They may not taste exactly the same, but with the right seasoning they can still be tasty.  Chilli, use turkey instead of beef, lasagna, use less noodles and cheese and add spinach or eggplant.  I could go on and on but I hope you get the point.  We used to get a magazine Cooking Light.  We don't anymore, but it provided a good base of info on how to substitute ingredients to make healthier dishes of all kinds, you just can't be afraid to experiment.  You'll get some clunkers, but you'll also find some dishes you may like better than the original.  I know for me eggplant lasagna is one of those.

Cooks Illustrated also offers cookbooks that offers lighter recipes for "comfort foods". They find ways to substitute ingredients to lower calories and the like by 25% and more over the traditional dish.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    Pacuare said:

The first 5 years we had Eggs my wife just did not do anything with them. Then last summer I had something in my hands and ask Linda to open the Large (ok, I know to burp). But after Linda burnt her eyebrows, bangs off she was not a happy wife and not real happy with me (well it was a little funny). Yesterday our Daughter and couple of Granddaughters were down for spring break and Linda wanted grilled chicken strips (I was at work), I told her to take some lump from the Large and put in the Mini. Told her how to use the Mapp to light it. Guys, she is one of us now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    edited March 2013
    That is a main problem in my house.  I would like eggplant in the lasagna - Wife will not eat it - I will not eat it without it being buried in sauce (its earthy tasting to me) that is high in carbs so its either the pasta or the sauce.  She likes green beans, edamame, sweet potatos - I cant stand them.  I like all fish/shellfish - she will only eat talapia.  Almost like I have to make two meals.  I've been trying to figure this out for years and cant get a happy medium.  Spatchcock or parmigiana is the only way I like chicken.  I do not like the grilled breasts as they have no flavor and are always dry/tough - tried to brine them in chicken broth as well with no luck.  Carbs or fat are in everything.

Pork loin is good but that takes time to cook and not a quick weeknight meal. 

The atkins/Paleo methods seem OK but still need time to cook those meals and when I add up the calories/cards/fat in allot of those meals they are not what I should be doing according to the doctor.  Is its low carb then its high fat and vice versa.  Dr wants me on both - impossible so I give up.  I did low carb for a week and was walking around starving all day,  did two stir fry's and I no longer want stir fry anymore.

I can not find a good idea for a quick weeknight meal (under 30 minutes for prep to serve) that is healthy for all of us.  And something that will not start a war in the house.  Instead of battling over it we order takeout - Shrimp parmagiana w pasta dinners are not good.  Pizzas,  takeout chinese takeout, I can go on and on. 

As for the weed burner - not sure if I am going to spend anymore money on the Egg for a while.  Wasted too much already.  I have the high Que.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    BTW - I say I will not spend anymore money then I see the Small vs Mini thread and want one.

This is a disease.

Garnerville, NY
  • My sister suggested to Wilma recently to just use the Egg to grill something because I was busy at work. Wilma looked at my sister funny and said "I'm not touching his Eggs!"
    Ahhhhhh! All is right with the world.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Do pork tenderloin. It is very quick. Also, did you add any salt to the brine for the chicken? Chicken broth alone won't do anything. It is a colloid so the flavor-containing molecules won't go into the meat, just the salt and water(This is why it is better as a braising liquid or sauce). There is nowhere near enough salt in plain broth to truly "brine" the chicken.
  • robnybbq
    I am banging my head on my desk.

I tried chicken breasts on the Egg and they came out like cardboard.  Allot of people here told me to brine them in broth first - I did that and the same result so I gave up on chicken breasts.

Pork tenderloin took me almost two hours plus my lighting/up to temp issue - that is a 3 hour cook.  Not time for that during the week.

Garnerville, NY
  • Are you cooking chicken to temp ?  Mine are always good and juicy, sometimes to the point we think they can't possibly be cooked enough.  Cajun spices, blackened spice, basil spiced.  I could go on and on.  There doesn't need to be alot of salt in these.  I love to try new combos, I know how picky kids are, but if you keep trying eventually you'll hit the mark

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• robnybbq
    My daughter will eat any chicken (not spicy).  She loves it especially with coffee rubs or Italian dressing marinade.  She is the easy one. Cooked until not pink on the inside.  The breasts are thin so they do not take long.

Garnerville, NY