Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving from Calif. to Kerrville, Tx., pros and cons?

2»

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Pro - Texas has plenty of Eggfests. Salado (which after this year people will know is the best in the country), Plano, Austin, Texarkana and Athens. Feel like I'm missing one. :-?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    If you own a motorcycle, you will love the Kerrville, Hill Country area.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

The Cen-Tex Smoker  We've never seen Kerrville, but will go on a road trip soon to check it out. Some close friends that RV a lot told us they really like the place and that's why we started thinking about it. I'm used to the humidity, as we have family in MS., and spent a lot of time there when our youngest was at Ole Miss.

Griffin I already have the cowboy hats, boots and the 4 wheel drive pick-up, as we raised quarter horses for cutting in our younger days.

After 66 years in Calif. we are tired of the taxes and politics, but love the weather. We would keep our vacation mountain home near Tahoe to come back to for breaks from trhe heat.

Thanks everyone for your input, we'll check out Tennessee also.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I forgot one other thing. When you hold the door for a lady does she thank you or just give you that "you better hold the door ****" look?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    I dunno if this is pro or con for you (I like it) but you will have rattlesnakes in your yard from time to time. They can be quite large. Coyotes are common, armadillos- everywhere. Tarantulas the size of a saucer, and scorpions everywhere (not a big fan of these but I like all the other stuff). Not totally uncommon to see mountain lions too which I think is really cool.

He is right about this, but you also see alot of Deer ( you have to be careful driveing at night ) Wild Turkeys, Big Horn Sheep and Roadrunners ( beep beep) !
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    These humidity concerns are confusing to me. Houston is humid like Mississippi. Odessa is dry like Death Valley. Kerrville is intermediate, but mostly pretty dry except in May and June. About 1 summer every 5 years is wet and rainy. It may all be about perspective. I grew up in Orlando so I look at Texas as though I am standing in Houston looking west and all I see is desert starting around San Antonio. One of my colleagues grew up in Odessa so he sees San Antonio and parts eastward as "tropical paradise". But I don't know anybody who sees the humidity in the San Antonio/Kerrville/Austin/Fredericksburg area as oppressive.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    I forgot one other thing. When you hold the door for a lady does she thank you or just give you that "you better hold the door ****" look?
    When the latter happens, I slap her on the ass. When she retorts, I reply: "We live in a goods for services economy, ma'am. Next time say Thank you. I don't mind offering free services to polite people."

:D
  • Eggcelsior
    egzilla said:
    I dunno if this is pro or con for you (I like it) but you will have rattlesnakes in your yard from time to time. They can be quite large. Coyotes are common, armadillos- everywhere. Tarantulas the size of a saucer, and scorpions everywhere (not a big fan of these but I like all the other stuff). Not totally uncommon to see mountain lions too which I think is really cool.

He is right about this, but you also see alot of Deer ( you have to be careful driveing at night ) Wild Turkeys, Big Horn Sheep and Roadrunners ( beep beep) !
    Man... Texas is one weird-ass place...

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Moved from San Diego (14 yrs) to San Antonio. Some really great inputs here. Three things I specifically remember, 1- I did not BBQ more than three times my first summer there, 2- I had no idea at first what bit me (fire ant), but it was worse than any bee sting I remember and it lasts a whole lot longer, 3- the first time I pulled my boat out of Canyon Lake and went to strap the transom to the trailer I was greeted by a water moccasin hangin on my trailer. Still, we adapted and lived there 10 years. Really enjoyed it, although my daughter gave up wake boarding.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

The best year of my life was spent in Texas.  The food is awesome, the fishing is incredible (Lake Fork, near Dallas), housing is inexpensive, and I really enjoyed the people. Honest, hard-working, responsible and for the most part, very friendly.  I'd go back in a heartbeat, regardless of the weather or the fireants. 

I was in San Antonio for a year, but hill country is beautiful. If I ever move back, that's where I would go.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Texas and California could very easily be in different countries. I'd pick texas for sure, but what do I know, I'm just a redneck from Mississippi.

XLBGE 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    One of the things I probably should have mentioned sooner is that when I moved to Texas and I first went out for BBQ and I realized that getting a "3 meat plate" or a "4 meat plate" was pretty standard I knew I would be pretty happy here.  I never have figured out why anyone thinks that dishes like beans or potato salad are good side dishes for BBQ of any kind.  Once I figured out that I could essentially order ribs - and think of sausage, chicken, and brisket as my "sides" - well it was like I had finally found the place I was meant to call "home".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    My wife grew up in a place called Redneck, not far from Kosciusko.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Texas and California could very easily be in different countries. I'd pick texas for sure, but what do I know, I'm just a redneck from Mississippi.
    For all the complaints about California, they must be doing something right. They do have over 10% of the total U.S population.

Must be the weather.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    @billyray - Forget all that opressive hot Texas weather and people who say "screw you" for no apparent reason.  If you're looking for crazy wild west action like a frontier town on Saturday night along with lovely changes of seasons, might I suggest Flint, Michigan? 

Hey, Michigan is a great place! The best smallmouth bass fishing and musky fishing around! Lake St Clair baby.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."