Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

and it begins....

Options
Again y'all this is my first time to smoke a brisket. I will probably be on here all day looking for advice and asking questions. Please post any tips throughout the day that would help during the smoking session. I can't believe how many people have already helped me I would be screwed without this forum. Thanks again.... time for another nap.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If I didn't have to go right to work I would drink a beer to you. =D>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Don't sweat it! Enjoy the cook, drink some bourbon, imagine greatness!
    =D>
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't worry about the stall. It will finish when it finishes, no need to open the dome obsessively. Don't ask how many of us know...
  • McQ
    McQ Posts: 10
    Options
    When should I open it and what am I looking for? Just checking to see if its burned? Do I ever flip/rotate it?
  • BryanLyle
    BryanLyle Posts: 40
    Options
    Hopefully you have a temp probe in it.  If so, just sit back and relax.  Once it hits the temp, the work begins...  
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I pull mine off at 190-195 internal temp. With a flat and dome temp 300 I get there in about 6 hours. Roughly an hour per pound but it is always by temp, never by time
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    McQ you have me curious. Can you tell us what your setup is and if you have a temp probe?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Take a nap. And when you are done with that, take another nap. Then start drinking. :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• McQ
    Options
    OK so I took a little bit longer of a nap than expected. Just went out to check the temp and it snuffed out. I have a meat thermometer and it reads 122 internal. The meat is still good right? Also SmokinDAWG82, I have a plate setter drip pan with water and a little apple juice.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    McQ said:

OK so I took a little bit longer of a nap than expected. Just went out to check the temp and it snuffed out. I have a meat thermometer and it reads 122 internal. The meat is still good right? Also SmokinDAWG82, I have a plate setter drip pan with water and a little apple juice.

I think they were wondering how you are monitoring the meat temp. Do you have a remote thermometer?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • McQ
    Options
    Not a remote just a display that sits on the shelf
  • Eggcelsior
    edited March 2013
    Options
    McQ said:
    It will be fine. You are cooking it to around 200 degrees. All the little nasties will be long gone. Just start it back up. Put it in the oven to keep it where it is if you are waiting for the egg to re-stabilize.

EDIT: Put it in a hot oven that is. Around 200 degrees.
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    122 is fine, it's probably still slowly cooking internally. Just get the heat back up and you're good to go.
  • McQ
    Options

It will be fine. You are cooking it to around 200 degrees. All the little nasties will be long gone. Just start it back up. Put it in the oven to keep it where it is if you are waiting for the egg to re-stabilize.

EDIT: Put it in a hot oven that is. Around 200 degrees.

I'm having trouble keeping it at 200. It seems to stay right around 250... will that dry it out?
  • Eggcelsior
    edited March 2013
    Options
    No. I only said 200 as this is typically the "warm" setting on an oven. 

Although, I presume that you are talking about your egg. 250 is just fine. You can even go a little higher. If you do mean the oven, it will only be in there for a little bit while the egg re-stabilizes. Everything in the egg was probably still warm so the thermal mass won't take as long to get to your cooking temp. If you are really worried, foil it.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    It'll be fine, shoot for a dome temp of 250-275
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA