Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how many hickory chunks

Options
Ok so I asked for every tip imaginable but forgot to ask how many hickory chunks (and how often) do I put in while smoking a brisket. Hopefully somebody is awake because I'm about to start it lol. Any tips are appreciated

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    two steps:
    1. bury three or four in the lump
    2. place a couple on top the burning lump when loading the brisket

chunck size about half the size or your fist or so....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I've been experimenting with reducing the number of chunks to a minimum and last Sunday smoked a pair of pork shoulders with just two chunks. Each chunk, about fist size, was located at the edge of the hot spot, the second after the first was about gone, until internal temp exceeded 140F or so. Plenty of smoke emitted from the Egg during the cook and plenty of smoke flavor in the pulled pork. I'll probably burn more lump in place of more hickory to hold temp but only needed the two chunks of hickory to get the desired result if that helps.   
  • McQ
    McQ Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks y'all. About to throw it on now.
  • McQ
    McQ Posts: 10
    Options
    Do I add more later or just in the beginning?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    the chunks you buried in the lump will burn during the cook.   hickory has a strong flavor profile.  pecan is my favorite and mellower than hickory or oak. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Browninggold
    Options
    I use Hickory chunks for pork..around 3/4 chunks on lump when I put the meat on grill. No since of adding any later smoke only penetrates the meat during the first part of cook. Don't waste the chunks. I use Mesquite for Beef
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My goto is now Pecan and Cherry. Just got some Sugar Maple and the next ham gets it..
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I dump 8 or 10 on top 30 min before the food goes on.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I dump 8 or 10 on top 30 min before the food goes on.

10...you're a hickory man!

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    Mickey said:
    My goto is now Pecan and Cherry. Just got some Sugar Maple and the next ham gets it..
    I've been using maple chips when I can find them.. Excellent on pork IMO.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com