Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Turning beef meat once or twice?

Except the visual effect of the grill marks is there any advantage of turning your steak twice?
Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Mini and Large

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,166
    In Adam perry langs book charred and scruffed he turns constantly to baste the meat. Also it gives the meet a bit of a rest to help with overcooking on that side IMHO
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,239
    I always figured, if you keep fiddling, you got problems or are not confident in what your doing.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 860
    edited March 2013
    According to Harold McGee:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/08/harold-mcgee-on-flipping-steaks-resting-meat-and-char-from-electric-grills/

"frequent flipping cooks the meat more evenly, and also significantly faster: flip every minute instead of once or twice and the meat will be done in a third less time. This works because neither side has time to absorb a lot of heat when facing the fire or to lose heat when facing away. You don’t get neat grill marks or the best char this way, but with high enough heat the surface develops plenty of flavor"

Fiddling is what it's all about for high heat. At least twice but could be three or four or more timesdepending on thickness, intensity of the heat, desired final state, etc.. The first two are to sear each side as quickly as possible. The next one or two to control internal temp and avoid overcooking past desired internal temp and keep sides evenly seared/cooked. There's also the reverse sear method .....
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 396
    tjv said:
    I always figured, if you keep fiddling, you got problems or are not confident in what your doing.......

t
    On the contrary; for the typical supermarket ribeye (3/4" thick) I cook for two minutes, flip, cook for two more minutes then repeat. eight minutes to perfect medium rare with perfect char and decent grill marks every time. I couldn't BE any more "confident in what I'm doing".

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,680

I did the grilling for the family when I was just a wee kid.  My mom would scream at me if I flipped the meat (hamburgers, steaks) more than once!  She'd say that if you flip it more than once you'll lose all the juice.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,016
    that  "flip once" rumor is total BS

• I did the grilling for the family when I was just a wee kid.  My mom would scream at me if I flipped the meat (hamburgers, steaks) more than once!  She'd say that if you flip it more than once you'll lose all the juice.

that  "flip once" rumor is total BS
    BS or not, it's hard to undo something you've been doing for 30 years.  In my case Choke, it was my Dad telling me I would probably ruin supper if I flipped more than once.  He was supervising from afar with a beer or a scotch & soda in his hand.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,738
    My basketball coach would always say, as you were walking out of his history class to the bathroom, "if you flip it more than twice, your just playing with it"

Wait... It's shake it... Somehow it applies here

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,016
    We all spout BS from time to time.  mea culpa.  :D