Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison backstrap

Options
Got a bachelor night tonight because the rib has to work late. Dying to break out the egg tonight so I pulled out a backstrap from this years doe.

How do y'all prepare them usually? I've only chicken fried them because that's the only way she'll eat them but want to try something new.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    The rib? Never heard of that one but makes sense.

I'd stuff with peppers and onions, season and wrap in bacon. Smoke it like 300-325. Treat it like any other loin. Pull it when bacon is done.

I've done a ton of this but zero on egg and zero since I've started measuring temps.

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I raise my own "backstraps"!!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Sorry. Got my names for her mixed up on the boards I post on.

I don't have it butterflied and was thinking about grilling it straight up like a steak.
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Then season and grill. More like a pork chop then a steak tho

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I marinade in allegro couple hours. Cool whole until 135-140 (I'm guessing on that temp. Haven't done on egg yet, only did on my gasser, it's probably equiv of med rare though) and then slice. Absolute best part of deer. I like it simple
    Boom
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    Wow, are you in for a treat. I think this is the best thing in the world you can eat.
    Here's how I do mine. in a CI pan with EVOO, garlic and onion all minced, I sautee the backstrap after it has been lightly salted and peppered and a touch of EVOO. Also roll it in panko. 
    Sautee the backstrap until golden. take out of the CI and place on the grill for a few minutes.
    Plate and then pour the left over mixture from the CI pan over the strap and slice and enjoy!
    Man, this was the outstandly best thing I ever ate and also had it on a bachelor night!
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    I would marinate it then grill it>

1 CUP Maker's Mark 
    1 TBSP (or 1/2 oz) chopped fresh ginger
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 bay leaf
    1 TBSP of Soy Sauce

Treat it like a flank or hangar steak.  
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    Options
    Butterfly it and stuff it with boudin. Leave it in the casing.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options

I would marinate it then grill it>

1 CUP Maker's Mark 
    1 TBSP (or 1/2 oz) chopped fresh ginger
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 bay leaf
    1 TBSP of Soy Sauce

Treat it like a flank or hangar steak.  
    Sounds good

Boom
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Cajun duck that sounds heavenly. That's how I'm treating it next time!

Ended up wrapping with bacon and jalapeño and dusting with DD.