Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My first real attempt at steaks on the BGE, ribeyes!

3/4" thick ribeye steaks on the Big Green Egg. 40 minutes at 225 degrees, then taken off of the grill. Then the grill is opened wide up, to get to over 600 degrees. Steaks back on the grill for 2- 4 minutes each side. Becky's were 130 degrees by the thermocouple before removing from the grill, mine hit 150 before I took it off of the grill. The steaks rested at least 5 minutes while we worked out the place setting and water/utensils.

The best steaks I have ever cooked in my entire life!
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR
·

Comments

• I meant to add that the 40 minutes at 225 were with the place setter legs down with a drip tray.  The place setter and tray were removed for the final high heat sear.

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 948
    Looks great. Can't tell from the photo, what type of pepper/chili did you grill with them?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • CPARKTX said:
    Looks great. Can't tell from the photo, what type of pepper/chili did you grill with them?
    One jalapeno for a treat on the side.  Too hot for my wife, but I enjoy the spice (and I'm getting my greens, right?).
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,491
    Nice! That's the cat's meow!
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Those look great! =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 411
    That cat looks like it thinks it might be next... LOL.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,210
    You and I had the same craving tonight! Nice job! Looks terrific! :)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,398
    Looks good to save time not sure you need to go that low indirect. I've done 350-400 indirect 4 mins a side then sear with same methods fwiw.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,252
    I like the low temp especially with a chunk of oak in there makes for a great paring with some Cabernet or other oaky wines/drinks
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,470
    The reverse sear, the way to go, IMHO. 
    Looks nice, that's cooking with science and finesse, great cook.  
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Excellent looking steak
    ·
  • Thanks for the kind words everyone! 
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • nashbamanashbama Posts: 102
    Those steaks look amazing. I'm going to try your method next time I cook steaks.
    ·
  • I meant to add that the 40 minutes at 225 were with the place setter legs down with a drip tray.  The place setter and tray were removed for the final high heat sear.

Actually the place setter legs were UP!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • SkinnyV said:
    Looks good to save time not sure you need to go that low indirect. I've done 350-400 indirect 4 mins a side then sear with same methods fwiw.
    Thanks for the information!  The reheated steak portion snack that I had today was great, but I did feel the charcoal taste to be a bit stronger than the steak flavor.  I will try your suggestion next time.
    Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • EggscriberEggscriber Posts: 275

Almost sounds like you smoked the beef.  What temp were the steaks that you started with?

I always let mine warm to room temp unless they are thin.

·
  • SkinnyV said:
    Again thanks for the information.  I am going to try what you suggest this evening.  Legs up or down for this indirect cook?

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • My second attempt at thick rib eye steaks, with asparagus wrapped in bacon.  I used the small fire ring instead of the stock, and use the Woo3 and the place setter legs up to get the grid up to the gasket level.  400 degrees indirect for about 10+ minutes.  When the steaks were nearing rare temperature, I took the grid with food, the woo and place setter off and put the grid on top of the small fire ring, very close to the fire.  Then returned the food to the grid.

Very good taste and texture, I can't wait to taste the leftovers tomorrow since I failed to protect my smeller from the smoke...The wife said it was excellent, I was not so sure...But good!

This was the first time I experienced the flare up from opening the egg at a high temperature,  I burped it once then opened it up, a fire ball erupted and singed a few hairs on my wrist, not much at all but an eye-opener.  A rite of passage I suppose.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,860
    Great lookin' cook, Dave.  Nice job.

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,423
    Fantastic meal you prepared there... My kind of death row meal ;)

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,834
    Both steak cooks look great.  Last time I cooked steaks I did a low temp cook on the reverse sear like you did in the first cook, and I really enjoyed them.  The steaks took on a great deal of smoke flavor this way.  I could see how it might be overpowering for some, but me and the fam liked it that way.  Time permitting, I would do it again! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    try prosciutto on the asparagus...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,774
    Ha I cooked same thing Sun night Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I love the asparagus in bacon.
    Boom
    ·
  • Looks great Dave.  Did you do anything special with the Asparagus other than wrap in bacon?  Also, any guidance on temp/set up for the it?
    ·
  • Hi CantonDawg;
    About an hour before starting the BGE, I washed and trimmed the asparagus spears, then coated them with olive oil, a little salt, and some lemon pepper, and a dusting of powdered roasted cumin.  I put the wrapped asparagus on the grill (indirect) with the steaks, for the same 10 or so minutes.  Then when I removed the place setter and went to direct cooking, I put the asparagus around the steaks in the direct heat as shown in the pictures.  That I think was a mistake, since I was using the small fire ring and the grill was very close to the fire.  Some of the asparagus tips caught on fire, just like candles.  As I transferred them to the serving platter, I actually had to blow them out as if they were birthday candles on a steak cake!  Only a few were burnt, they were super good, a nice crunch to the bite and none mushy.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • Ha I cooked same thing Sun night Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I love the asparagus in bacon.
    Very nice!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,491
    Dave, I am happy to see that Master Kitty approves.

You are able to live to see another sunrise.

Nice cook too.
    ·
  • Looks awsome. Mine turn out like crap. But I will have to trya reverse sear. Awsome cook. 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,593
    Mmmmmmmm..... Mmmmeeeeaaaat!

All those steaks look terrific :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·