Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanted to make ribs but nooooooo

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    You can get a free gasket from the mothership

I'd forget the burn off. I've had no problems with funny taste. I do what mickey does. Yea it'd be no way to use egg if it took hour set up during week.

XLBGE 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I got a free gasket - just too cold out to put it on.  

Garnerville, NY
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    These are spares I did about a month and a half ago. Took a little longer then @Mickey but these were right at 2 hours. 325-350* Used CWM's recipe from the other forum for "quick ribs"
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    These are spares I did about a month and a half ago. Took a little longer then @Mickey but these were right at 2 hours. 325-350* Used CWM's recipe from the other forum for "quick ribs"
    In Texas we stand up when we use Car Wash Mikes name. Just saying...... Gooood ribs
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    So you are saying light the Egg and thrown the meat on it then adjust the vents to the proper settings and that is it?

Garnerville, NY
  • Scottborasjr
    @Mickey agreed. never had the pleasure of meeting the man, but his method of cooking ribs is what I use whether low and slow, or his quick version.  R.I.P. CWM!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I usually wait until the smoke from the new lump is clear, about 10 minutes. It's important to keep the bottom vent wide open and leave the top off until you get close to your target cooking temp. I to am a huge fan of Car Wash Mike, may he rest in peace.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @robnybbq, maybe I am missing something, kids at park longer than expected = missing a good cooking day? Or maybe instead it = great time/ memories with kids?
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    And the other positive longer at the park means you got more exercise which I believe you had also complained about not being able to get before ...
    Lynnwood WA
  • robnybbq
    I hardly exercised.  A little stroll maybe. I need to run a marathon to make a dent. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    If you want faster time to get up to temp I would suggest a High-Que Grate and lighting the lump in more than one spot. 

I haven't used Royal Oak but know lots of guys that do, maybe you could try switching the lump just to see if that is why you have an issue with taking a long time to get clear smoke. I don't do clean burns and usually have lots of left over lump for everything but a pizza cook I use Ozark Oak which I don't think will be found in your area, but some other good ones I'm sure can be found. 

Don't get too discouraged once you figure out a way to get your egg up to temp quicker, the weather will turn nice and you will be able to get some good meals made on it. 

I usually wait till my dome is around 250° or so, if I throw a turkey or ribs on early like @Mickey is talking about.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • robnybbq
    At 300 the smoke is still white and smells bad until about 45 minutes in - just did this last week.  I guess maybe I am worrying too much and dont want to waste the food.  We like the good smoke flavor but not the bad.  Tried a few times and when the smoke was not good smoke the food was horrendous - One reason we have not made a meatloaf on it again as it tasted bad - un-edible.  Threw out a spatchcock once as well as it tasted harsh.  My guess was I put the meat on too early.

I have the High-Que grate.  I was planning on a low and slow so that means lighting one spot and getting the Egg to ~250.  That will take about an hour to have clear/black smoke.  If I am cooking at 300 or higher I have lit 3 small spots with the MAPP torch and with the lid open I am lucky to see 200 until at least 15 minutes in.  Maybe I need to light all the lump.

I just watched a few videos and they all say wait for the smoke to turn from white to black/gray.  What am I missing?

Garnerville, NY
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I will time my cook on my large and report back to try and help you. I'll be using it tomorrow or wednesday. It sounds like you are doing everything right.  

How do you setup the daisy wheel / bottom vent? If your worried about bad smoke maybe have the top open more and the bottom barely open to create the same temp? Just thinking out loud. 

Have you calibrated your thermometer recently? 

I will do some thinking about it and let you know my timeline along with my method when I fire up the large in the next couple of days. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • robnybbq
    I have just recalibrated the dome thermo a use a maverick at grate level to confirm the temps.

When starting the bottom vent is wide open - dome open
    I take the MAPP torch and hold it into the lump for 10-15 seconds in three spots.
    After I see that the lump is caught on fire/smoldering I close the lid - no Daisy Wheel (~ 10-15 minutes
    I watch the smoke and the dome thermo. 
    When the Egg reaches 300 (For a 350 cook) I put the DW on - petals open only and the bottom vent to about 3/4 of an inch. Still lots of white smoke
    I then watch the temps creep up to 350 and as they do if its going to overshoot I close the bottom vent more.  Sometimes I try changing the top vent only or vice versa.  Still seeing white smoke.
    When the smoke clears I add the food at the 45-60 min mark after lighting.  Reused lump I may save 15 minutes in this process. 

I also load the lump by hand and I do not dump the lump in. I make sure the vent holes in the fire box are clear.  I clean out the ash every cook. Every ~10 cooks I have removed the firebox and cleaned it thoroughly.

Maybe I should let the fire get to 400+ then cool it down - will that clear the smoke faster?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    My guess a BGE Small would take the same time to get up to temp and cook?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    Burn off - meaning burning the lump until the bad smoke goes away.  This always takes be ~ 45 min to an hour.  I use a MAPP torch as well to light the lump.

Wanted a controller but regardless I will not leave the Egg burning while I am not home.  Since moving it to the my deck I have been very nervous using it.  I will not do an overnight on the Egg now that its on my wooden deck now - just too nervous.  When it was out on my lawn I was up every hour worrying about it and there was nothing near it that could catch on fire.
    I keep mine on a second story wooden deck,  I have no problem leaving it for hours, and overnight, sleep all night. Just put a piece of sheet metal in front for coals just in case.
  • MrCookingNurse
    robnybbq said:
    My guess a BGE Small would take the same time to get up to temp and cook?
    negative, it gets up to temp way faster

why dont you let it get up to 400 next time then reign it in.  Everything sounds good, but i have just never had that much trouble with smell and taste from smoke.  

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    I don't light with a torch but I would think you would want fire, not smoldering coals when you take the torch off.  I could be completely off base.  And I know my medium gets up to temp quicker then my large, That's why suggested a smaller egg further up in the thread. 
  • robnybbq
    I have never seen the lump catch on fire right away with the torch.  Maybe leave it on longer?

In a few weeks I will try it again if I find time. Will document the exact temp/times/observations. 

Are there any issues with leaving the Egg full of lump for a few weeks/month or two?  Or should I empty it all out?

If I find a dealer that has a small I will go look at it.  None of them locally carry the mini but not sure about a small.  Still would have learn how to use it a few times when I have more than an hour to myself.

Garnerville, NY
  • MrCookingNurse
    I've got flames a blazing when I use torch.

XLBGE 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I do the same as @mickey in my XL I just top up as needed. If i am doing an overnight I clean it out and I hate to say it buy on the occasion yes my egg may go unused for a few weeks and I just give it a stir and light it up.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Scottborasjr
    @robnybbq I would think that a small egg could help your problem of weekday cooks.  Also would save a lot of charcoal. Trust me I'm in the same boat trying to avoid eating fast food or frozen food just because it's simpler. Have a 7 year old and a 8 month old here. Really think that planning your cooks in advance would help instead of having the argument that my wife and I always used to have about what's for dinner. I really don't think that you have much to worry about fire wise unless you are starting the egg after 60 days with no rain. Planning dinners instead of going by what sounds good saves a lot of money.  Just my experience. Hope it helps.
  • I light my large with a torch in three places for grilling and let it go wide open until I get near where I want to go.  Then I adjust vents and usually I don't have to wait long for the smoke to smell gooooooood!  Certanly not 45 min to an hour.  Low & slows are another matter.  I light in one or sometimes two places and find I have to wait a little longer for acceptable smelling smoke.

+1 @Scottborasjr - on the planning your cooks ahead of time.  I cooked country style ribs today for later in the week.  We are busy at church this week from Wednesday into the weekend.

Flint, Michigan
  • Could it possibly be a bad batch or RO.  The last few cooks have been sorta the same for me.  It's a half hour until smoke smells good.  Hasn't been that way before.  I've still got two more bags of the RO that I bought at the same time.  I might just get me some newer lump now that the stores in my area are starting to stock it again.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• robnybbq
    edited March 2013
    @robnybbq I would think that a small egg could help your problem of weekday cooks.  Also would save a lot of charcoal. Trust me I'm in the same boat trying to avoid eating fast food or frozen food just because it's simpler. Have a 7 year old and a 8 month old here. Really think that planning your cooks in advance would help instead of having the argument that my wife and I always used to have about what's for dinner. I really don't think that you have much to worry about fire wise unless you are starting the egg after 60 days with no rain. Planning dinners instead of going by what sounds good saves a lot of money.  Just my experience. Hope it helps.
    Scott - You sound like us.  We need to work on it.  Have tried numerous times but never lasts more than a few days and something ALWAYS comes up.  Got to feed the kids and its already 7:30 meaning -  take out time.  Tried to go healthy that does not last.  Its a PITA to plan in my house.  Wife does not like allot of foods and I do not like most vegetables.

I can not stand leftovers so precooking early in the week for later in the week meals is not an option for me.  Always dried out when eating them later on and never taste the same.  I even got a food saver.  We spatchcocked a few chickens a few weeks back to try and freeze some for future meals but again it was like cardboard when we reheated.  Next time I had to bury them in sour cream, taco sauce and cheese to hide the chicken taste.  Then whats the point of trying to eat healthy chicken when buried in bad stuff.  Got some pulled pork as well - tried to reheat it and eat it straight up and its no good - need to bury the pork in something.

I think I just need to go back to basic grilling for a while.  Forget the exotic low and slow cooks.  Get some frozen hamburgers to have on hand to throw on the grill whenever we get a chance.

Getting caught up in all the fancy cooks is probably not a good idea when UI do not have a clue.  Got really into it and added way too much stuff that I will probably end up not using.  WOK, Spider, additional stones for multi-layer cooks, food saver, high end knives, temp probes, thermapen.  besides the fact this stuff is in boxes all over the living room and it looks horrendous.  I need take all that stuff and bury it in the garage.

Garnerville, NY
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    robnybbq said:
    Scott - You sound like us.  We need to work on it.  Have tried numerous times but never lasts more than a few days and something ALWAYS comes up.  Got to feed the kids and its already 7:30 meaning -  take out time.  Tried to go healthy that does not last.  Its a PITA to plan in my house.  Wife does not like allot of foods and I do not like most vegetables.

I can not stand leftovers so precooking early in the week for later in the week meals is not an option for me.  Always dried out when eating them later on and never taste the same.  I even got a food saver.  We spatchcocked a few chickens a few weeks back to try and freeze some for future meals but again it was like cardboard when we reheated.  Next time I had to bury them in sour cream, taco sauce and cheese to hide the chicken taste.  Then whats the point of trying to eat healthy chicken when buried in bad stuff.  Got some pulled pork as well - tried to reheat it and eat it straight up and its no good - need to bury the pork in something.

I think I just need to go back to basic grilling for a while.  Forget the exotic low and slow cooks.  Get some frozen hamburgers to have on hand to throw on the grill whenever we get a chance.

Getting caught up in all the fancy cooks is probably not a good idea when UI do not have a clue.  Got really into it and added way too much stuff that I will probably end up not using.  WOK, Spider, additional stones for multi-layer cooks, food saver, high end knives, temp probes, thermapen.  besides the fact this stuff is in boxes all over the living room and it looks horrendous.  I need take all that stuff and bury it in the garage.
    if you need somewhere to store all the extras let me know i've got just the place for you.  
  • robnybbq
    Sure - just have to come over and show me how to use this thing.

Garnerville, NY
  • MrCookingNurse
    I'm just curious how you can stomach a frozen hamburger but not left overs?? I eat left overs all week at work.

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    There are plenty of foods that taste better the second time around -- whats wrong with left overs!  Many of my pasta dishes are purposely refrigerated and served the day after.  It's a lot easier to load up the grill and cook a little extra for a seconf meal....
  • MrCookingNurse
    @charlie tuna

It's also a lot cheaper!! We save a ton by me taking left overs for lunch or pre cooking meals for stuff

XLBGE