Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seal around the top flute?

I dont remember the thread but I noticed someone had a mini or a small that had what looked to be the felt gasket on the top flute. Anyone else doing this? Wasn't sure if it helps or not. First I had seen it though.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2013
    I have left over gasket material around my top chimney. Just makes the lids sit snug. Not sure of any other benefit. I had a guest open my egg and the DFMT flew off. Not anymore
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BryanLyle
    BryanLyle Posts: 40
    I know that "other" kamado style grills have the felt around the top.  Here's the thread where I saw it last night - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149335/virginal-flight-of-the-mini#latest
  • I have some extra laying around I might just throw it on there. I wasn't sure if anyone else was doing it. I wasnt sure if there was a benefit from it. I do notice that when I get heavy smoke going that it comes out from under the daisy wheel. Maybe it will help to seal it off quicker on shutdowns as well.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042

BryanLyle said:
    I know that "other" kamado style grills have the felt around the top.  Here's the thread where I saw it last night - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149335/virginal-flight-of-the-mini#latest
    thats mine, my dealer does that when he builds them, he did it on my large as well.  the glue failed on my large but i reinstalled a piece with permatex, its nice not having the dfmt rattle around and the green cap fits super tight with it on there.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You really don't need it. After you bust that second Green Top you remember to pull it off first BEFORE opening the lid (take my word for it, you do). I don't use the DFMT at all so that is not a problem for me. But if you do and put it on the correct way it will  not fall off (at least it would not fall off for me when I used to use it). Just another good reason not to use it...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I had a buddy who asked me to help him install a gasket on a Extra Large Egg.  His dome had a dip in it's ceramic surface and was leaking smoke from under the vent.  We had a section of gasket left over and used it on the side of the top vent --  worked fine and sealed it up good. -- every little air leak counts! 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    If nothing else, it softens the contact when placing the rain cap on the dome. However it is common sense that it will also create a more air tight seal when shutting the Egg down.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I put my extra gasket material around the inside of my rain cap.  I didn't see a need for it when I'm using my DFMT so that's why I didn't glue it to the top of the dome.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Mickey said:
    You really don't need it. After you bust that second Green Top you remember to pull it off first BEFORE opening the lid (take my word for it, you do). I don't use the DFMT at all so that is not a problem for me. But if you do and put it on the correct way it will  not fall off (at least it would not fall off for me when I used to use it). Just another good reason not to use it...
    The reason is to keep it from flying off, not so much an issue with MBGE,LBGE and XLBGE, the small and mini seems to be the usual problem. 

Hey Mickey - I keep saying it is not true, but you just keep admitting it, old dog, new trick..... :))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!