Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Digital Meat Thermometers

Just wanted feedback on the egghead thermometer of choice. I pick one up at Wal-mart for about 15 bucks. It worked ok at first but now it seems to get so far with temp and stops reading. Yes...... I have changed batteries. I end up using a manual meat thermomter for final reading. Any thoughts on which one is the best.
·

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,553
    edited March 2013
    For food temp the hands down choice is a Thermapen from Thermoworks. They are $90 but work in seconds, very important when you are trying to take an internal over very hot coals. They work very well and last a long time. The one thing most of the forum members agree on - other than which color/colour is the fastest..... (My vote is red)

BTW - Welcome noticed it is your first post!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • LmartinLmartin Posts: 11
    Thank you for your feed back!!!! It looks like a great product.

·
  • LmartinLmartin Posts: 11
    Thermapen it is then....... I'm new to the egg world. My husband and boys gave me mine for Christmas. Have absolutely loved it...... Can't believed I grilled on gas for years. The egg is the bomb.
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,971
    there is no other option  :P

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,018
    My yellow thermapen is the fastest production thermometer available. Red, the fastest, no way. ;)
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • mhoutmanmhoutman Posts: 39
    Get a Thermapen. Last week I got a refurbished one from the factories eBay site.
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Mini and Large
    ·
  • Green is the fastest, most accurate and matches my BGE apron.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,971
    Well if we are gonna do this, I have grey, stealth, no bling or flash, but its a sleeper, by far the fastest

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • bccomstockbccomstock Posts: 332
    mhoutman said:
    Get a Thermapen. Last week I got a refurbished one from the factories eBay site.
    Do you have a link to the eBay store?  I'm not finding it.. 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,553
    Green is the fastest, most accurate and matches my BGE apron.
    A fashion statement from of all places, Flint, who'd a thunk it?
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Green is the fastest, most accurate and matches my BGE apron.
    A fashion statement from of all places, Flint, who'd a thunk it?
    Hey, I'm not a neanderthal living in a cave ya know!  Wait a minute.  I guess I am!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,427
    edited March 2013
    Pink is so fast I get the reading before stabbing the food!  It's predictive!

·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

My yellow thermapen is the fastest production thermometer available. Red, the fastest, no way. ;)

Red by far is the fastest, I would race a green for pink slips anyday.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    edited March 2013
    Green means go and is by far the fastest as @Fred19Flinstone already said, British Racing Green is slightly ahead of Bright Green then the rest of them are racing for third place..

Here is the link but you can catch them slightly on sale occasionally. 

Welcome to the obsession! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·