Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some Burgers

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Life's been kinda busy for us lately. Things keep getting in the way of my grilling and smoking. Really wanted to do a brisket this weekend, but that wasn't gonna happen. Wasn't gonna let the whole weekend go without grilling up something, though, and SWMBO'ed wanted burgers Sunday night. Who am I to deny her? Nothing really special about them. About 1.25 lb of 80/20. Been reading about how some people put Ranch in their burgers. You know...the powder in the packets used to make dressing? Added 2 tsp of that as I wasn't really sure how much to add and 2 tsp of DP Raising the Steaks a long with some whatsthishere sauce. Got the Egg fired up to around 650.

When I lit the Egg, it was one of those "Do I have enough charcoal, should I add more?" moments. Not wanting to wait for the VOCs to burn off, I went ahead and chanced it. Barely pulled it off, kept opening the vents little by little to maintain my temp as the lump burned lower and lower. Still made it though. About 2 minutes on one side, flipped and added some Pepper Jack cheese.

Another two minutes and it was time to pull. While I was fiddling with the grill, Mrs. G made up some home made French fries. Not sure what temps she used, but she did the double fry method (Fry for a bit, pull out, raise temp, fry a second time)

Burgers had the usual suspects: lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and 1015 SWEET ONIONS! Not sure if these are shipped nation wide or if its just a Texas thing, but love me some 1015s and they just came into season a few weeks back. Anyway, was good to get on the grill if it was only one night and quick cook at that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• That settles it.  I'm cooking burgers tonight.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin
    Saw that flounder you did. That looked good. Need to do more seafood around here.

Rowlett, Texas

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I made burgers last night too!  Yours looks super as usual!   
    Large BGE

500 Posts: 3,177
    Good looking burgers Griff.  Was the ranch powder worth it, taste wise?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great. We did burgers and I used DP Cow Lick for the first time in burgers. What did you think of the ranch seasoning in the burger? I've got a friend I regularly cook for that is a ranch fanatic and that sounds right up her alley..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Saw yours as well @EddieK76. Then saw you did home made buns. You trying to show me up? :(  Just fooling. I still want to try home made buns, but SWMBO'ed usually tells me last minute that she wants a burger. No time to find a recipe, mix it up, let it rise and all that, so we went store bought.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    @500 and @Solson005 - either I didn't use enough of it or that darn Pepper Jack cheese was just way too overpowering. It was the same cheese we used on the fajitas and the combo of jalapenos and habaneros really packed a punch. Almost too much heat and I like heat. I'll try it again with a milder cheese and see how it goes.

Rowlett, Texas

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Good to know, maybe ill do half with a bunch of that seasoning and half regular till I get the mixture right. Maybe I'll try it with sliders first that way we can have one of each :-?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    I like the way you think, Sir!

Rowlett, Texas

• EddieK76
    Griffin said:
    Saw yours as well @EddieK76. Then saw you did home made buns. You trying to show me up? :(  Just fooling. I still want to try home made buns, but SWMBO'ed usually tells me last minute that she wants a burger. No time to find a recipe, mix it up, let it rise and all that, so we went store bought.
    Haha!   First attempt at homemade buns and still have work to do on them.  After discussing it with several people on King Arthur's site it looks like my measuring technique isn't what KAF wants.  Also didn't choose the exact right yeast.  THe bun had great flavor but it came out more like a dinner roll than a light and airy hamburger bun....Still a work in progress but hey that's what we are here for is to make mistakes and learn!
    Large BGE

• Griffin
    Tis true, tis true. Although...how bout you make the mistakes and learn and I'll just use what you learn? ;)  I know @Dyal_SC has made his own buns, at least I'm pretty sure he has. Maybe he can edjumacate us some....

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Gracious...those burgers are pretty, Grif! I have had those "do I wanna chance it with this small amount of coals" moments many times. Always turns out that I do. :)@EddieK76, I've made that recipe before too. They were more dense than I had hoped for. Definitely not soft and airy. If you find a good recipe, lemme know.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Man that last shot can be on a Mag cover.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EddieK76
    @Dyal_SC You are referring to the beautfiul burger buns on KAF?  How the heck did you know I made those?
    Large BGE

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Because, you mentioned it above...you big goof! haha
  • For good hamburger buns, we go to fuddruckers and buy theirs. But making would be fun as well. Good looking grub Griffin! !
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Found onion rolls work fine from the store
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I cook burgers every weekend. Quick, easy, and very tasty!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

@griffin

Not sure if you remember me mentioning the ranch powder in the beef about a year ago or not, but if it took you that long to try it, I am surprised. I mentioned using as much as possible, with the beef and then sautéed onions on the burger, with bacon and then mozzarella cheese to seal all the juices in. This is the ticket here my dude, I will make a post of the way I do it soon and you can add your spin to it. I'm sure it will be stellar!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Looks great. I find a way to screw up burgers every time. Need more practice I guess
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I like those nightime action photos of the burgers cooking. I've been busy myself lately and have fallen into a similar burgers and dogs rut myself. Kinda feel embarrassed using a great cooking tool like the Egg to do stuff like this.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Those look pretty damn tasty, and I like how you stole ( or borrowed) those plastic bins that they serve burgers at most burger houses.
    I would have done the same thing.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Sometimes you just need a good cheese burger!  Nicely done!
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Dyal_SC and @EddieK76

Did you guys weigh your flour or measure it out(ounces vs cups) KAF really likes you to use a weight-based system of dry measure. Try the scoop and scrape method next time, it best approximates weighing flour(if you measured out cups, obviously)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    TUTTLE871 said:
    Those look pretty damn tasty, and I like how you stole ( or borrowed) those plastic bins that they serve burgers at most burger houses. I would have done the same thing.

And he stole the red and white checkered paper too. I don't get how he reuses that piece of paper every time he cooks a burger. :))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Dyal_SC and @EddieK76 Did you guys weigh your flour or measure it out(ounces vs cups) KAF really likes you to use a weight-based system of dry measure. Try the scoop and scrape method next time, it best approximates weighing flour(if you measured out cups, obviously)
    +100 on weighing flour, salt, sugar - stuff where the density can vary tremendously.  But then again, the only time I follow recipes is for doughs and curing.  Otherwise I just estimate ratios.

@Dyal_SC and @EddieK76

Did you guys weigh your flour or measure it out(ounces vs cups) KAF really likes you to use a weight-based system of dry measure. Try the scoop and scrape method next time, it best approximates weighing flour(if you measured out cups, obviously)

We were texting one another earlier about that same thing. That recipe calls for "cups" vs "weight".... But we would love to know the weight of the correct amount of flour instead. I have burgers on the menu later this week. I may try the recipe again with less flour. As to not hijack Griffin's thread, I'll start another one with pix from the last time I made the KAF rolls.

BTW, @Griffin, I like the way you got your patties big, round and flat. My pet peeve is a patty that is like a big round meatball in the center of a big bun. I like the meat to go to the edge (or beyond) of the bun. :)

• AJT
    AJT Posts: 5
    I've worked into what is, for me at least, the perfect (and easy!) burger and now one of my favorite foods off the egg.

80/20 ground beef, mixed with finely chopped fresh chives and Worcestershire sauce.  Form the patties (thick) and liberally coat each side with salt and pepper.  Heat up the egg to 450 and add a few large chunks of hickory.

Grill each side, only flipping once, for approximately 4 minutes per side, depending on preferred level of doneness.  I like med-rare but try to cook a little rarer than that as I'm the only carnivore in the house so I like to freeze the individual burgers to heat in the microwave when I get home late nights during the week. 

It allows the re-heated burger to not be over cooked and still extremely juicy and smoky.

My dad used to make herb burgers with fresh chopped basil, tarragon, chives, etc and they were good, but potentially a little cloying.  These have just the right mix, are cheap and easy.  Love it!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Dyal_SC said:

@Dyal_SC and @EddieK76

We were texting one another earlier about that same thing. That recipe calls for "cups" vs "weight".... But we would love to know the weight of the correct amount of flour instead. I have burgers on the menu later this week. I may try the recipe again with less flour. As to not hijack Griffin's thread, I'll start another one with pix from the last time I made the KAF rolls.

BTW, @Griffin, I like the way you got your patties big, round and flat. My pet peeve is a patty that is like a big round meatball in the center of a big bun. I like the meat to go to the edge (or beyond) of the bun. :)

14.75 ounces or 418 grams. Scooping variances can yield as much as 20 ounces for 3.5 cups.
  • Griffin

@michigan_jason I don't specifically remember you mentioning it, but I'm sure you did and my memory sucks. I've seen lots of mention of it, but in our house, Mrs. G has always been in charge of making the patties and I let her do her own thing. That was until I did the pimento cheese burgers and she was out of town and I had to finally step up and make the patty. I'll add more next time.

Supercilious_In_5280 keep practicing, you'll get it.

@jfm0830 - nothing to be embarrassed about. We all need a good burger from time to time. Stacie almost made me make some again last night.

@TUTTLE871 and @Chubbs - :))  We didn't steal the baskets or the paper. I think Mrs. G found them at World Market. Need to get more paper though as we're almost out.

@Dyal_SC - I was watching a DD&D episode in San Fran about a burger place. The guy rolls up the meat into a ball, puts it between wax paper and flattens it by placing a cutting board on top and pushing down. Then he sort of reshapes the patties into perfect circles (they are almost perfect already) and flattens them again under a cutting board. Makes thin wide patties. So simple even I can do it. :)

@AJT sounds like a good burger!

Rowlett, Texas