Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Salado Problem Help

13»

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    There are plugs there. You should bring your own extension cord and maybe a pig tail. Never mind that. I will bring plenty of both. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cool.  I was planning on bringing a cord and pigtail anyway.  Thanks Travis, I'll hook you up with some ammo and food, and I'll have plenty of Evan Williams black.

XL egg....check

Utensils....check

coolers, food, cutting board...check, check check

Kevlar vest, taser and riot geat... check

adult beverages....check

BOOMER!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I was thinking of donning my zebra pattern apron I picked up The Carnivore restaurant in Nairobi - but I'm starting to question the wisdom of that. Smokinsooner seems to have a better handle on the situation.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    I don't think there's been an accidental fatality at an egg fest in months.  Nothin' to worry bout, folks.  We're not bringing any firearms.  Sharp knives, plenty.  Watch out you don't piss of my SWMBO, she's 5'12", very savy and very protective. 
    @nolaegghead was it you that said she would start drinking in Houston at just the thought of Village Idiot living nearby? The motto of Salado: Salado, where booze, guns, and knives live in harmony or not.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Dammit, dammit, dammit....I really wish I could make it. Sounds like this will be the best year yet...until next year.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    @Mickey - no no, if she's gonna bring her A-game, she ain't drinkin'.  And she don't drink and drive and we're taking her SUV.  Plan is, drive from New Orleans to San Antonio (only reason we'd ever stop in Houston is to get gas or check out Ikea).  Stay in SA at mom's, then head up to Salado.
    @nolaegghead..... come up I35 to Exit 285.........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    @nolaegghead..... come up I35 to Exit 285.........
    do not drive I-35 though Austin if you can help it at all Thursday-Saturday. You will be adding at least an hour and most likely many hours to your trip. 

Austin will be crippled by SXSW traffic- underestimate the ass-whip of this at your own peril. 

Take the new 130 toll road (speed limit 85MPH) all the way up to Georgetown and it reconnects with I-35 like 20 minutes North of Salado. You can catch 130 in Seguin (30-40 minutes east of SA on I-10)  if your family lives on the east part of SA, or you can take 35N to Buda and hook up with it there. Traffic will already be snarled by Buda (pronounced "byooda") but probably not a day killer. You couldn't pay me enough to drive on I-35 next week at all. 

IF you do go east, you could make an afternoon of it and hit all the BBQ joints in Lockhart and Lulling on the way up. Krutz and Smitty's in Lockhart, City market in Lulling. All known as "best in the world for TX BBQ" type places. It's worth the side trip for anyone coming up. They will be packed from SXSW traffic as well but they can move through the lines pretty quick. They are used to big crowds.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Good advice CT.  I'd love to hit the BBQ joints.  My mom lives a stone's throw from I-35 at the city limit around O'Conner Rd (NE side of town).

Yeah, my brother sent me this a couple days ago:

"Not sure what time of day y'all are coming up this way, but I can guarantee you that Austin traffic is going to suck - it always does, but SXSW will be wrapping up, so it will suck more than usual. To avoid endless frustration, I'd suggest taking the new 130 toll road from Seguin to Georgetown, unless you are going to San Marcos to pick up Marshall along the way, in which case you'd get on near Buda. Either way, it's not much of a detour, and you get to drive legally at 85 MPH. Cost will be about $12 for the whole way, less if you get on in Buda. Pay by mail. "

Yeah, my brother sent me this a couple days ago:

"Not sure what time of day y'all are coming up this way, but I can guarantee you that Austin traffic is going to suck - it always does, but SXSW will be wrapping up, so it will suck more than usual. To avoid endless frustration, I'd suggest taking the new 130 toll road from Seguin to Georgetown, unless you are going to San Marcos to pick up Marshall along the way, in which case you'd get on near Buda. Either way, it's not much of a detour, and you get to drive legally at 85 MPH. Cost will be about $12 for the whole way, less if you get on in Buda. Pay by mail. "
    he is a wise man. I would avoid it Sunday too. The place is still lousy with hipsters trying to get home. It's a zoo.

• and it's Kruetz- (misspelled it above). It sounds like "Krites". I like City Market better than all of them but it's another 14 miles out of the way. You can do all the damage you want at Smitty's and Kruez in Lockhart and then head on up. Well worth tht stop just to say you've done it. The sausage and ribs are better than the brisket (they cook at 450 or something crazy like that). It's good, but I've had better.No sauce or forks allowed at Kreuz.

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited March 2013
    Trying out my Canadian Bacon on you folks in Salado on Saturday. Using the Dizzy Pig recipe. Austin traffic is already bonkers because of SXSW. The airport was nuts Saturday when I flew home to Austin. I used 130 to drive to Round Rock, some folks love the 80 mph speed limit.

Cheers, John Wallace
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    As said before, travel I-35 through Austin at your own risk. I wouldn't do it if they were handing out gold dabloons. And I love gold dabloons.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    I've spent a good time in Austin and the traffic (on 35 especially) gets more effed up each year I'm there.  Seems like toll roads are picking up the slack there and in Houston.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks Centex for the toll advice. Very true. 130 is a must. Don't know what I was thinking.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sxsw?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

• henapple
    30 miles south of Murfreesboro they have "Bonnaroo". Hundred of thousand Stoners laying in their own urine...Woodstock type festival. I-24 gets backed up like a truck stop toilet.
  • Griffin
    Totally forgot we'll be cruising through Salado heading south Thursday and then coming back north Friday. We'll honk as we pass by. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Griffin said:
    Totally forgot we'll be cruising through Salado heading south Thursday and then coming back north Friday. We'll honk as we pass by. ;)

Pass by hell. Call me and stop in for a few mins. If late the party will be going an by then Travis, Centex, and Gary should be passed out with henapple pulling their wallets. henapple said he traveled to far not to make this pay off.

• Griffin
    I have no idea what time we are coming through. We got some tickets to the Spurs Mavs game Thursday night so we're driving down for that. Not sure when we'll get rolling on Friday and then I'm stuck working Saturday and Sunday. I'll call you if we have time to stop in. I got your number.

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    My sweet wife just called and told me to take $300 dollars and buy myself something for my egg. I told her it's not that kinda fest. Things aren't for sale. It's not an eggfest per say...it's a drunk fest. Thanks honey, the $300 should cover my beer though.
  • Mickey
    henapple said:
    My sweet wife just called and told me to take $300 dollars and buy myself something for my egg. I told her it's not that kinda fest. Things aren't for sale. It's not an eggfest per say...it's a drunk fest. Thanks honey, the $300 should cover my beer though.
    Just $99 short for a Mini and nest....................... and don't forget the hookers.

• henapple
    When my wife turned 40 i told her i was trading her in for 2 20 year olds...her mom promptly informed me i wasn't wired for 220. I thought the hookers were free.
  • nolaegghead
    that's pretty witty of her