Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Taste of Louisiana Sans the Salt

Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Before I get started; I posted something similar to this post to a thread involving Cajun cooking recently. I've decided to go ahead and post this again as I know that I appreciated all of the posts about Dizzy Pig rubs that I would have never learned about without y'all posting about how awesome they are (and indeed they are). Just to be clear, I don't have any interest in this product other than I like it. If you think it would be something that you might want to try then please do, if not; hey great. I just know that this fills a niche that needed filling for quite some time and I wanted to share that with my fellow foodies/eggheads.

I find that by the time I get enough heat with Tony Chachere's the food is then too salty. Over the years we developed some work arounds to add heat without adding more Tony's. It really wasn't all that big of a deal, until I was given a sample bottle of Red Claw Cajun Seasoning by the guy who developed and markets it. His sons and my son are taking karate together and we talk while they're in class. I had complained about Tony Chachere's being too salty so he went to his car and got me a bottle. Now we buy it locally at the supermarket and we like it.... a LOT.

Our boy's Godmother is VERY allergic (like end up in the ER allergic) of gluten, so when we seen that it is gluten free we took a bottle to her. She absolutely LOVES it. She is one who doesn't like too much heat, and as she told us; even if you don't want more heat than Tony Chachere's brings you can still add Red Claw to your desired spiciness and end up with lower salt content all while MSG and gluten free. It's a win win.

Right now Red Claw is in most South Louisiana grocery stores as well as being available online. However, I do have some friends in California who have talked to their grocer and now their grocer carries it. Short of making my own spice mixture, this nails it.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments