Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Knife Recommendations?

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
I'm window shopping for some new steak knives. I am leaning towards a nice wooden handle set. I was toying with getting blanks and making my own handles, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to buy them.

I saw these that I really like the look of:

Any suggestions on a set that looks nice?
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have wustof steak knives and they are decent. These look cool but would be a little nervous after reading the reviews. That is, if you are going for the French name. In my book as long as they hold a blade then they are good knives. Following this chain to see the responses.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2013

If using standard plates, I would just buy a cheap old Chicago Cutlery set.  When they get worn out, chuck them and buy another cheap set.

Found a great woot deal on a 4 piece Shun set for $150.  The new ones are $300, on Amazon.  I wouldn't pay that much for em, but they are nice.  No serrations so the edge can easily be maintained...using acacia wood plates makes for a cool presentation.  Guests quickly see the beauty and benefits of Japanese steel.  Then you get the look when you ask for their knife back so it doesn't get tossed into the dirty dishes.

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-MHS0400-Stainless-Steel-4-Piece/product-reviews/B0070B3EM8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Yeah I was looking at the shun ones, but they're too expensive. I have the classic line and that'd be the appropriate set to get if I wanted to be consistent, but they are pricey for sure. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I have some Wustof ones also. I also have some inexpensive wood handled ones with a serrated edge I like way better. They are big, big wood handles and big/ wide blades. They are awesome. Cut like butter.
  • Focker said:

If using standard plates, I would just buy a cheap old Chicago Cutlery set.  When they get worn out, chuck them and buy another cheap set.

Found a great woot deal on a 4 piece Shun set for $150.  The new ones are $300, on Amazon.  I wouldn't pay that much for em, but they are nice.  No serrations so the edge can easily be maintained...using acacia wood plates makes for a cool presentation.  Guests quickly see the beauty and benefits of Japanese steel.  Then you get the look when you ask for their knife back so it doesn't get tossed into the dirty dishes.

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-MHS0400-Stainless-Steel-4-Piece/product-reviews/B0070B3EM8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Looks like you got ripped off on those knives. You could cut that steak with a butter knife.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have Chicago Cutlery ones that I got many years ago which work just fine for me. My next ones will probably be the Ergo Chef ones in Guy Fieri's line not too expensive but not cheap either. I have a small Santoku I use while traveling and the knives are good quality. They also make the Big Green Egg Knives but I haven't seen steak knives in that collection. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We have Wustof.  Doesn't really matter what you get, I'd just recommend non-serrated so you can keep them sharp.  I like not having wood handles so I can throw them in the dishwasher. 
    Very stylish. Box and handles look nice. Can't tell if they are serrated or plain edged The info on the steel isn't very informative. Appears there are a number of variants for 420 steel, some being much better for knives than others. No mention of any heat treatment to bring the steel to its best performance. Even w. the markdown price, I'd suggest researching the brand some more.

I agree w. Focker. If the blades are going to be used against ceramic plates, its sort of a waste to buy high quality knives. Either the edges will be abused, or, if they are really good, they will slice the plate as well as the food.

There's a brand called Kiwi that makes a number of kitchen knives. They take and hold an edge very well, and cost very little. For awhile they were selling one they called a picnic knife. Had a rounded tip, but very sharp un-serrated edge. Now they appear to be selling a sort of mini santuko and a 5" utility knife, both of which would make a decent steak knife.

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

Speaking from experience I would be weary and proceed with caution when finding a deal on Laguiole knives. If you are going to drop 100 bucks on some steak knives make sure your not getting knock offs. The real french ones are tough to find, often it's the knock off's on discount. My suggestion is to go through a reputable cookware store. Worst case scenario you pay over 100 bucks for knives made in China. Who knows if they're sharp, will hold up, or have any sort of warranty.

Laguiole are by far great steak knives, it's just finding the real ones that's hard.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have stamped Wustof that I picked up at W-S outlet. $40 bucks. I handwash to maintain the edge.