Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip first timer

Options

Cooked up a tri-tip for the first time and it was excellent!! Cooked indirect at 250(dome) until internal temp was 120. Pulled it off and got egg up to about 650-700 for a two minute sear on each side. Turned out almost perfect!! I was a little unhappy with the sear as I like it more charred on the outside.

Question: I have really been lookin at the adjustable rig....I know it can get you higher in the dome but can It get you closer to the coals? If not whats the best way to get meat closer to the coals for a better sear?

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've always wanted to do a tri-tip, but they haven't invented them here yet.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MOvikingsfan
    Options
    My local butcher has them for 6.99/lb everyday but had a 5.99/lb special on them over the weekend so I could't pass it up. I will be doing this cook again for sure!! I will be happy to pay 6.99/lb next time because it was well worth it!!
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    If you are up for another gizmo, the Woo3 is fantastic as it has a lower grate rail that sits just above the coals.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I don't use a adjustable rig I have a CGW Swing Rack but I think the CGS Spider is the recommended eggcessory if you want to do low searing and works along with the adj rig or by itself, it is also a great way to center a wok.

After spending a couple years traveling in California I really enjoy tri-tips. My butchers around here went to the same school as @Fred19Flintsone butcher and do not save them or when they do it is too expensive. I have found Guy Fieri has a pre marinaded on that you can find at Target which is really good, especially since it is about my only source here in Oklahoma. 

Looks great! 
    =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.