Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jaccard and boneless short ribs

Options
sjr
sjr Posts: 3
Hi All,

I have smoked boneless short ribs(usually about 4-5 hours) many times.  I always get great flavor but they are usually tough.  Has anyone used a jaccard meat tenderizer on meat they have smoked for a long time?  I want to treat the ribs almost like a brisket and wait till the internal temperature reaches 203 deg.  I usually get impatient around 180 deg.

Steve

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I have never used a Jaccard for boneless short ribs, but then I've done boneless short ribs once on the grill, they were way to chewy. Braising has been the cooking method of choice, tender lots of taste. 
    I have used a Jaccard on a large eye of round that was smoked at 225-250 for a couple of hours and it was very good, nice smoke ring and the Jaccard changed the texture quite a bit, quite tender. 
    If the chewyness of ribs is caused by silver tissue, I'm not sure Jaccarding would make a huge difference. If it is caused by muscle tissue, I think the Jaccard might help. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    sjr said:
    Hi All,

I have smoked boneless short ribs(usually about 4-5 hours) many times.  I always get great flavor but they are usually tough.  Has anyone used a jaccard meat tenderizer on meat they have smoked for a long time?  I want to treat the ribs almost like a brisket and wait till the internal temperature reaches 203 deg.  I usually get impatient around 180 deg.

Steve

This tenet is the most important teaching about the BGE. 

Let the ribs come to you, grasshopper. They will fold when ready, not when you want to fold them.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm with skiddy on this - braise them.  I do them sous vide then sear them on the grill.  If you can find veal short ribs, they'll probably low and slow on the grill fine.

If you can get a slow cooker to hold 140-170F, you can seal them up (no air) in a bag or foodsaver and do a ghetto sous vide - 24 hours at 170 or 48-72 hours at 140F.  Take them out of the bag and sear on the grill.  They'll melt in your mouth.
    edited March 2013
    Options
    sjr said:
    Hi All,

Steve
    I have seen them done bulgogi style where the meat is cut away from the bone with only a short bit left. They were then pounded with a tenderizing mallet (knurled side). Jaccard would be similar

Steve 

Caledon, ON