Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Healthy tasty chicken

jlsmjlsm Posts: 851
I wanted to do a spatch chicken yesterday but quickly realized that if you skin it, you have to do pieces. Basically the same thing, anyway. Cooked this at 350 indirect for about 45 minutes. I used a little apple wood, which I'm sure contributed to the color. I also used Simon and Garfunkel steeped in EVOO and added a little Wicked Guys chicken rub. I think the rub was primarily responsible for the color. It is a "white" rub with sugar, citric acid for tang and white and lemon peppers for a little heat. Got the recipe off the Web. I really like it. (Left the skin on the wings and, of course, ate those first.)

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
·

Comments

• Gorgeous!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    VERY nice plated picture, the chicken looks good !
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Looks really good! I love the color that a little bit of smoke does to the chicken, I've always used cherry but I will try apple next time, thanks!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,585
    Love the onions...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,067
    Looks great. Are those leeks?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 851
    Scallions. Didn't get them quite charred enough.
    ·
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 877
    FYI, if you skin it you do not have to do pieces, I have done it lots before with great results on a spatch chicken.
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Looks awesome.  Planning exactly the same thing (spatch with Simon & Garfunkel over EVOO and apple wood for my first egging Friday evening....
    ·
    ddegger, good choice! If you can, soak the S&G in the EVOO for a half-hour or so before you apply to the bird to allow the herbs to bloom. Also, sprinkle the chicken with a little sugar to help the browning (you won't taste it). Good luck and enjoy! 
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,144
    Great colour, wish I could get that, super cook. 
    In order to get three chickens on my medium, I "parted them out" like you did. Also noticed the legs take longer, so dropped them on, then 5-10 minutes later the breasts, then 5-10 later the wings. Everything comes out cooked, but not overcooked. (Mine was not healthy, I left the skin on).
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    @skiddymarker, next time, put the leg/thighs in the back, where the temp runs a little hotter. Breasts and thighs finish at the same time for me with this arrangement.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,144
    jlsm said:
    @skiddymarker, next time, put the leg/thighs in the back, where the temp runs a little hotter. Breasts and thighs finish at the same time for me with this arrangement.
    Thanks, very good advice, I usually do that, but with so many legs and breasts and wings, Oh my, I just put them on at different times and all is good. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    @jlsm - good tip, thanks!
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,331
    I like the looks of that meal.....t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • SookieSookie Posts: 294

Apple smoke is my absolute favorite for chicken.  We do boneless/skinless breasts sometimes and make chicken salad with a little mayo, some sweet onion, celery and of course chicken..  Put that in the food saver canister, vacuum and let marinade overnight.  It turns out a little oniony but we love onions.  :) 

And BTW ours turns out the same color and it's delicious. 

·