Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon question

Options
I have an enormous filet but realized when I got it home there is no skin on either side. Can I put it directly on my grate or should I put foil under it?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    You can but, I would foil or use a cast iron skillet. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    When I go direct on grate with no skin I will cook longer on first side. It seems to hold together better- make sure grate is oiled and I would also cut the large filet into manageable pieces. Makes it much easier to flip without breaking apart.
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Slather some mayo on it....it keeps it from sticking to the grill grate and you can't really taste it.  Learned that trick from little steven who learned it from pool creature or someone.
    Options
    What is a large filet?  When I cook salmon it's about 4 pounds if that is the case it would make your life easier if you cut it into smaller portions, planked it, or parchment paper.  Or like Travis said with foil or cast iron. 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    Almost 2.5 lbs. I threw it on whole since I slathered it with Dijon and then panko/parsley/pecan crusted it. Gonna try foil under this time and see how it turns out. Thanks all! Mayo Nola? Weird...
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Mayo VERY good - not weird.  Try it.  I season my mayo with lemon juice, parmesan cheese, scallions, red pepper and cayenne pepper. Good eats.

;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    Couple of pics...salmon and sweet potato wedges.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    That looks great! 

I use foil and poke holes through it when I make salmon, even with the skin on. 

I'm still working on my sweet potatoes on the grill. The first time I made them they were great and every time after they have just been ok. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.