Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second BGE size?

The Walrus
The Walrus Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I own a medium egg. I am thinking of buying a large one. The reason I am thinking large,is the flexibility of low & slow. Or should I purchase a small? I would like comments from the forum. First comes information which yeilds knowledge. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    the walrus,[p]If you are thinking of low and slow cooking flexibility, the large certainly has the small beat. If you need more space or cooking time than the medium can provide, then the large is your only option.[p]Spin
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />the walrus, if looking for a 2nd egg, or a replacement for your medium, first look at your reason for the new acquisition. [p]For purposes of low/slow – my medium does a great job. Just last week end I did a 7lb Boston Butt for 19 hours without adding any lump. I will admit, that in the dead of winter, more lump may be needed. In addition, I routinely do 11-12 hour cooks for beef jerky with no problems. [p]For purposes of high/fast, my medium jumps to the 750-degree mark with little or no effort/time. I used to take it to the 1000+ mark but decided that it wasn’t necessary.[p]If on the other hand, you need to be able to BBQ greater quantity, the large may be just what you are looking for. In terms of size, the medium has a 15 inch grate and the small has (I think) a 13 inch grate – not a great deal of difference. If you are looking for portability, check out the mini – great size to move around.[p]Controversy... the medium egg is about the most flexible (low/slow or high/hot) of the group – provided you’re only cooking for 2-3.[p][p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Spin, I think that's about what I said... it just took me more words. Have a great evening!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Gfw,[p]I have always been impressed with what you have accomplished using your medium. Having a large and small, I can only wonder about the medium.[p]I posted a direct answer to a direct question - which is better for low and slow, large or small. I am sure the question will be clarified.[p]Spin[p][p]

• The Walrus
    The Walrus Posts: 35
    Gfw,
    Thanks for the info. From "in the dead of winter more lump may be needed" is it fair to say that adding lump is a simple task? Adding lump will not harm the low and slow cooking process will it?
    the walrus

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Spin,
    The medium is the Edsel of the BGE line.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    the walrus,
    A medium and a large would be a SERIOUS combo. Especially if you entertain. I had a medium that I traded for a large after 28 days. The large is a bit more flexible, and you can cook a larger turkey, and a bit more grill space. But as Gfw has proven, the medium is plenty flexible for low/slows, and indirect setups. AND you can get plenty of grub on it.[p]I am thinking a small would serve you better as a second cooker....especially if you want to take it on the road. Nothing quite like eating egged food on the road. [p]Like some of the others here, I am using Junior more and more instead of the large when I don't need all the space. At this point, I cannot imagine life without junior.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    JJ, and don't we all wish that we had a '58 Edsel in smoking condition! As C~W would say... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Gfw
    the walrus, I keep a pair of leather gardening gloves and a grill gripper (a plyers would work about the same) with my BGE supplies. It takes very few minutes to remove the BBQ, firebricks, drip pan, etc. -- add some lump -- and replace all the goodies - the dome temp will drop, but I have never had the internal temp drop by more than 8 degrees - I have done it several times last winter with equal success - play, experiment and have fun... Life is GOOD!

• JJ
    Gfw,
    I had a 1959 Ford Skyliner. (retractible hard top) don't you think I wish I still had it.

• Gfw
    covt4.gif
    <p />JJ, I remember the car - guess that's how old we both are. Was yours red? Would you believe... check the link.

[ul][li]Ford Retractable[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gfw,
    Looks like that shot was taken on the old Ektachrome!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    Gfw,
    Thanks for the memories. Mine was white with chrome fender skirts, black and white interior laced with gold threads. The boot was rolled and pleated in gold leaf vynal.