Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The BEST charcoal ?

Comments

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

All I've used has been Ozark Oak, and I've yet to find any trash in it.  I've been happy with it, and it's hard for me to want to try something else since I can get it at 5.29 a bag (whenever HenApple hasn't come through town and wiped out the supply!)

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    I've used Primo, Rroyal Oak, and Full Circle. I can't tell the difference except Primo seemed to have a stronger wood smell. I can pick up Full Circle at Bi-Lo when grocery shopping so that is my favorite at this point.
    Columbia, SC

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Skiddymarker-how do you keep all those cross-border weight units straight?? :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    BTW, look at nakedwhiz.com for info on lump charcoal.  Excellent website!
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24
    I picked up some wicked good from Ace Hardware when they had a "spend $100 save $20 special". Five 22lbs Bags came to just under $85 with free shipping to the store. That works out to 16.99 per 22lbs bag -- not too shabby!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Wicked good for me. My local ace hardware sales it for $19.99 for a 22 lb bag.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    lousubcap said: @Skiddymarker-how do you keep all those cross-border weight units straight?? :)
    I'm old. Grew up with the Canadian (British Imperial system) which even the Brits abandoned so Canada had a choice, convert to either the US system or the universal metric system. We chose the later. I convert quite easily, in order to track how much a good deal is in the US, I have to be able to convert it to metric, which is much simpler.... Who needs Sudoku or crosswords, shopping in the US exercises my 
    not yet destroyed by adult beverages remaining brain cells.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Skiddymarker-Roger all and thanks for the explanation.  Figured you had it sorted out-and good that the Francois choice wasn't another option. Three hour head start here so time to kill more cells :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I use wicked good and Cowboy. I am really confused about the negative remarks on Cowboy I actually was mad a couple weeks ago when I went to Ace and had to get wicked good since Cowboy was sold out. I buy several bags at a time and Cowboy is $5 a bag cheaper. The wicked good burns longer but it is also much more dense so you get much less in a 22 pound bag of wicked good than you do in a 20 pound bag of Cowboy. The pic is from a 20 pound bag I opened this weekend of Cowboy and dumped it in my egg. Not sure how people are saying that is old flooring.image

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I had a rock or two in a bag of before, but I don't think it is a big deal. I think he was best of the west?
  • tech284 said:
    I am going thru charcoal really fast is the (Green Egg Charcoal) the best one to use I would love to find bigger chunks so I wouldn't have to use soooo much
    I used to use BGE charcoal, but now have switched to John Henry Food Company's Hardwood Lump Charcoal.  To me anyway, the sizing is better than BGE's & more importantly it costs less. I get it at the BGE dealer .... & it supposedly comes from East Texas.
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    I have been using Stubs, bought at Costco.  32# bag is $16 and some change.  I am on my third bag and have been very impressed so far. I like the quality and price over BGE.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Humphrey
    Jellyworm said:

I have been using Stubs, bought at Costco.  32# bag is $16 and some change.  I am on my third bag and have been very impressed so far. I like the quality and price over BGE.

Our Costco doesn't sell lump. I wish it did.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just scored 15 bags of Ozark Oak for Salado.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tech284
    tech284 Posts: 34
    WICKED GOOD kicks A$$ I picked up some today at ACE for 19 Bucks opened the bag and WOW no kidding the smallest piece in the bag was the biggest piece in the 3 Bags of BGE Lump that I have bought . The average size looks like a quart bottle . So it's cheaper , obviously burns slower due to the bigger lump also takes a little longer to catch (again size of lump) and it doesn't have to burn off that blue junk for 10 min. More smoke for the buck. Happy. Happy. Happy.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Wicked Good from Ace. Free shipping to the store and can order it online. Big pieces. Great burns.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2013
    I use Wegmans branded Royal Oak. $0.59 cents a pound Half the cost of the next available brand, WGWW. I bought 1 bag of WGWW when Wegmans was out. It looked like Mt Saint Helens exploded in my egg, there was so much ash. It caused 2 overnight cooks to go out - hello hi-que! I had so much ash, I should have recouped my cost by selling it to the local Catholic churches for the start of Lent. I think I just had a bad bag. A really expensive bad bag :(
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Wicked Good is being replaced in the Ace warehouses by Kamado Joe charcoal.  I prefer the Kamado Joe personally.
  • Eggcelsior
    alynd said:

Wicked Good is being replaced in the Ace warehouses by Kamado Joe charcoal.  I prefer the Kamado Joe personally.

Shhh..... Word on the street is Kamado Joe IS wicked good weekend warrior. Hopefully they don't replace the already high price with a higher one.
  • alynd
    Shhh..... Word on the street is Kamado Joe IS wicked good weekend warrior. Hopefully they don't replace the already high price with a higher one.
    Fairly accurate...the Wicked Good supplier is now the Kamado Joe supplier...and WG has had to find a new one so it's no longer the same. Price will be the same though.
  • Eggcelsior
    @alynd - why does WGWW need to find a new distributor? Everywhere I look, places are advertising KJ as "a wicked good wood combination" so it seems that they are piggy - backing WGWW reputation for increased sales.
  • alynd
    I assume the KJ people ordered enough charcoal that the distributor couldn't keep up with the demand for both brands.  I don't really know for sure though.
  • Eggcelsior
    Interesting. I have only read that KJ is "private label" WGWW. Sort of like BGE lump and Royal Oak. Apparently KJ has 2 types: North American and South American. WGWW is from SA so I presume they are the same ones but I don't know what the NA stuff is or if it even exists. I can't find anything official on the KJ website.
  • Wicked Good shipped for free to my local Ace Hardware is my first choice.  Then Royal Oak, who I understand makes the lump for BGE, at WalMart is my 2nd.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Big E
    Big E Posts: 51
    Ozark Oak I think is the best out there. I have went through over 500 lbs and I am yet to be disappointed. Just bought a skid of it for 5.29 a bag.
  • Eggcelsior
    Big E said:

Ozark Oak I think is the best out there. I have went through over 500 lbs and I am yet to be disappointed. Just bought a skid of it for 5.29 a bag.

What size bags?
  • Big E
    10 lb. I got my local dealer talked down to 14.99 a bag for BGE but definitely like Ozark Oak over that for two reasons. Better lump and price.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I stop in Little Rock and get it for $5 bag. I love the stuff. I usually get around 30 bags.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Big E
    Hopefully their quality doesn't go down and price goes up as they see the demand is higher. Not to many years ago the only place you could buy it was Harps.