Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corner table

I finished my corner table for my XL BGE yesterday. 

Here it is pre-cabinet door.

I used cedar for everything except the table top of the section for the Egg. The Egg section's top is a birch butcher block from Menard's.  Total cost for this project was as much as a BGE table from the dealer, but this is a corner style with the enclosed cabinet.

Comments

• Where did you get the lights? Are they weatherproof?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sweet...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Very nice work.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I thought this was apropos.

http://i.imgur.com/cLTBF.jpg
    I got the lights at Menards, and yes, they're weatherproof.
  • I thought this was apropos.

http://i.imgur.com/cLTBF.jpg
    Ha!  Cool, NOLA!
  • I like it,  I am looking to build some sort of table for my upcoming XL
  • NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    edited December 2012
    After reading a few threads on here about wood rotting, I decided to make a custom cover for the corner table.  The cedar should be less likely to rot than a lot of other woods, but I've put too much time, money, and effort into this thing already to not take care of it!

I'm a boater, so when I started thinking of fabric that would be waterproof and sun-resistant, I thought of marine canvas.  I went to my local West Marine.  Indianapolis, isn't exactly a big cruiser area, but I got lucky.  They had a small roll of royal blue tweed Sunbrella fabric.  Perfect!

I started to sew by hand...  No.  I'm not patient and the stitches looked like crap.  

If BOAT stands for Bring On Another Thousand, the BGE isn't far behind.  

I went to Target and bought a cheap sewing machine to complete this cover.  

The cover was done in two parts.  The EGG side of the table is higher than the work counter, so I measured the work counter cover to attach to the EGG counter and slope down to the end of the work counter which provides a slope to drain the water.  

The EGG cover is composed of 1 large piece of fabric.  Luckily, the Sunbrella comes in exactly the right width for this project!  I laid the fabric over the EGG and marked the sides to cut the fabric up to the chimney and then folded the fabric over itself to create the conical effect.  The EGG cover overlaps the work counter cover to provide for proper rain drainage.

Once I had the important sides hemmed to prevent the fabric from fraying and to strengthen the seams, I installed grommets at the appropriate places with a kist that I also bought from West Marine.  6 feet of shock cord looped through the grommets and held fast with cup hooks completed the project.

While all of this was pretty much pulled out of my ass (I have absolutely ZERO tailoring or sewing experience), if you ignore my sewing mistakes, I think it turned out pretty well!

Hopefully, this completes the largest amount of the cash outlay for the project!  I do foresee that I may need to sew small patches of Sunbrella canvas to each area where the grommets are installed to provide for some reinforcement in the future, Not now, though.  

I'm ready to grill!
  • Thanks for the post. I built my table similar to the one from BGE except I made it bigger to have more work space. I have been trying to come up with a cover and seeing how I am a boater as well, I can not believe I didn't think of the marine canvas. I will be searching for that now. Table looks great!
  • Thanks, Shawn!

After going through a few rains and a snow, I decided that the gap just wasn't going to work from the EGG counter to the work counter, so I added side skirts on both sides of the workspace cover.  This provides much better protection.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I guess it's ok...if you like good looks, craftsmenship and functionality.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I used Minwax Cherry 235 and a Minwax spar urethane on the flat countertops.
  • NautiRogue
    edited March 2013
    bfwilson said:
    Where did you get the lights? Are they weatherproof?

OK, I got the lights at Menards.  They are Patriot Lighting Pylos lights.  (http://www.menards.com/main/lighting-fans/outdoor-lights/landscape/pylos-1-light-31-silver-finish-with-black-accents-task-lamp/p-1728302-c-7541.htm)

I'm going to give these lights a mixed review.  I bought these back in November.  They're rated as outdoor lighting, and they've been installed on the table outside since then.  One of them developed a leak in the sealed switch, and I was unable to turn it on several times because the switch was frozen.  It even got to the point that it would blow my GFCI every time I tried to turn that lamp on.  (I'm using LED bulbs in both of the lamps for electrical efficiency.  Very little power is drawn by these lights.)  There is also a rubber gasket that I think is just for cosmetic purposes at the back of the lamp itself that has weathered and broken on both of the lights in only 3 to 4 months of outdoor use.

I exchanged the light that was shorting my GFCI today.  Menards gave me no issues at all even though I didn't have the receipt, but I'm not very pleased with the quality of these lights so far.  Design-wise, they are perfect for this use, and I'd love them if they would perform and last the way I expect them to last.

• NautiRogue

Well, after almost 2 years I decided that the table needed some updates.  The butcher block top that I had used has started to split in multiple places and the rest of the cedar badly needed re-stained. 

The end result:

• NautiRogue

The only issue I have now is that the grill light clamps don't open wide enough for my 2" table top now.