Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mini thermo really loose

So my mini thermometer pen is really loose. I can turn it in circles without any pull whatsoever. The "lamp on the inside is as tight as she goes and it's still loose. Any suggestions?
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,641
    A pocket thermo, or a BGE dome thermo for a mini?  If it's a BGE thermo, I take the clip off the back and throw it away.

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    i'm assuming dome thermo as well.  i lost my clip on my large a week after i got it, i havent missed it since. 
    ·
  • How do you guesstimate the temperature without a thermometer?
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,494
    Buy a new thermometer I guess. I'm not quite sure I understand the question.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,488
    I don't use the clip any more, old cork off bottle of wine like I've seen others use on the outside of the egg. Usually have only an inch or so in the egg, since cooks raised can touch it.
    I don't think it matters that you can move the thermo around, if it takes temp that's all you need.

If we are off on what the issue is let us know in more detail.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,488

How do you guesstimate the temperature without a thermometer?

Keep the thermo lose the clip is what they are saying. Hope that helps.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Herm. I like the logic of losing the clip.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,615
    Assuming this is the dome thermo, open the dome, reach inside and grab the probe with one hand while turning the dial on the outside with the other hand. If the probe is spinning on the inside, the clamp (which is not really needed) is not tight. If the probe is not spinning, the thermo is toast, take it out and get a new one. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    I've removed the clip and have a heat resistant silicone piece between the therm. and the outside of the dome, so as to have more head room inside. Also, by not having the clip, I can remove the therm. and stick my thermopen in the hole to get a more accurate reading of the dome temp. if I want.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,134
    edited March 2013
    First off my Egg is dirty and I am a bad person. Now I also toss the clip in the trash first thing. I go to hobby lobby and get a package of wooden car/truck wheels. Then use 1,2, or 3 as needed for the cook to raise out of the way. Works for me. The wine corks work as well. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    That's a awesome idea @Mickey, I'm going to borrow it. Thanks!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • Mickey said:

First off my Egg is dirty and I am a bad person. Now I also toss the clip in the trash first thing. I go to hobby lobby and get a package of wooden car/truck wheels. Then use 1,2, or 3 as needed for the cook to raise out of the way. Works for me. The wine corks work as well.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Kids toys are everywhere at my house. Sometimes I need to take advantage of that. The round wood Tinker Toys piece works great! My daughter complains I make it smell "Eggy". Life is tough when your four and you're forced to share your toys with your Daddy.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,134
    @Fred19Flintstone.... Man you are one tough Dad (and thats to a Daughter) :(( =))
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,983
    billyray said:

I've removed the clip and have a heat resistant silicone piece between the therm. and the outside of the dome, so as to have more head room inside. Also, by not having the clip, I can remove the therm. and stick my thermopen in the hole to get a more accurate reading of the dome temp. if I want.

@billyray

Does your thermapen take awhile to get to temp when measuring in the dome hole? Mine seams to take a min.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    It takes me several minutes.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
    @MrCookingNurse I would guess that's about how long mine takes when I hold in the top of the dome.  Don't think the probe was completely intended to measure ambient air as quickly as something it's in contact with.
    ·
  • Mickey said:
    @Fred19Flintstone.... Man you are one tough Dad (and thats to a Daughter) :(( =))

What??  What??

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·