Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pollo Pibil (pic heavy)

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
I really like the cuisine of the Yucatan (southern Mexico), and decided to try Pollo Pibil, a traditional dish in Merida.

I loosely followed the recipe at http://www.los-dos.com/recipes/verarticulo.php?IdArticulo=268 and also made homemade tortillas and cebollas encruitidas.

I discovered that banana leaves are a pain to work with. I'll have to research that more, there must be an easier way (suggestions anyone?).

Overall it was good, but not quite dialed in for TW authentic dish.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Does soaking the leaves help make them easier? Or steam them? Good luck!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! I originally planned to make Cochinita Pibil on the egg tomorrow but we aren't having as many people over as originally planned so maybe next week..

I use Rick Bayless method with the banana leaves and have had good luck: Using scissors, cut off the hard edge you’ll find on most banana leaves (where the leaf attached to the central rib). Cut 3 sections of banana leaf, each about 1 foot longer than the length of a large roasting pan. Line the bottom and sides of the roasting pan with the leaves, overlapping them generously and letting them hang over the edges of the pan. Lay the meat in the pan, drizzle with all the marinade. Fold in the banana leaf edges over the meat. Cut 3 more sections of banana leaf slightly longer than the pan. Lay them over the top of the meat, again generously overlapping; tuck them in around the sides.

That's his method, I'm on my phone so I can answer more questions later if you need. Never had Pollo I will look into it and give it a try sometime.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I run the leaves over an open flame on my gas range, this softens them up and makes them more pliable.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    The cook looks great!  Nothing better than handmade tortillas.  Are you cooking the tortillas on the egg?  If so is that a cast iron comal?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @SoCal I cooked the tortillas in a pan on the stove, only because of timing. I need a comal, it is on my list.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I use this on my large egg and it works great for tortillas. I'm still trying to find the perfect comal / griddle for my small egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.