Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs! Love em

Picked up two racks of pork ribs (baby back) at the commissary on Friday.  Covered them in a variation of Mickey's Coffee Rub:

2 TBSP iodized salt 
2 TBSP ground black pepper
3 TBSP turbinado sugar 
2 TBSP mccormick's tuscan italian seasoning
3 TBSP espresso coffee grounds (fine)
1 TBSP smoked paprika (hungarian)
1 TBSP cumin
1 TSP chipotle chile pepper 

Put the ribs on at 1100; temperature at 225.   Pulled at 5 1/2 hours.  Cooked with membrane side up.  Did not flip - only checked internal temperature until reached 180.  Let rest for 30 minutes.  Pulled them apart to serve.  Very easy cook.  

A real winner.  Definitely the ying and yang of warrior food.  

Only thing missing was a plate of farro.  Felt like I just finished a foot march with Julius Caesar.  

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice cook!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Miles do you mail? Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    When you said you cooked membrane side up I'm assuming you pulled the membrane prior?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! I'll have to give that soup a try sometime!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Scottborasjr when you assume you make an "ASS out of U and ME".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @henapple
    =))

yep
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Maybe Miles left the membrane to retain moisture in the rib, as long as we're assuming.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks great, Miles!
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Oh yeah I left the membrane on - read somewheres that it helps retain moisture.  I really should try to cook without - is it better?  I don't believe I have ever had them without......
  • Mickey
    Oh yeah I left the membrane on - read somewheres that it helps retain moisture.  I really should try to cook without - is it better?  I don't believe I have ever had them without......
    Miles the rub will not go into the membrane on the back side. Best to pull my friend. Same with beef ribs (have you done beef ribs yet).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Mickey I haven't done any beef ribs.  I will give it a try next time.  Thanks!

• Mickey
    edited March 2013

A few of you may have seen I put on the Salado EggFest. During the first one 3 years ago I called Miles for a favor (he was commander of a unit on Fort Hood and taken me on a live fire demo on Fort Hood). The hotel for the Fest is a Inn just across the creek (8 to 12" deep) from where we have the Fest in the park. I had ask if Miles could get me a portable bridge and a company of men to place it so we could just walk over the water. Well Miles' unit just would blow up crap and had no bridges. I just did not need the park or Inn leveled.  Long way of saying Miles is one of the good guys.