Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

platesetter?

I see people doing indirect cooks and talk about using the platesetter either feet up or feet down.  What's the difference, and is it important?  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious....

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Some say that the feet down forces heat directly at the felt line. Could result in gasket blow out
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Most would probably recommend feet up because:

1) What Alton said.

2) Having some space between your heat blocker and your cooking grid allows one to place a drip pan (with or without some liquid in it) above the platesetter but below the cooking grid.

3) The hot spots on the edge of the grid (where the heat is not directly blocked by the platesetter) probably aren't as hot - or at least the heat is not as direct in those areas.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Indirect cooks or roasting/baking is best done legs up. Drop your setter in legs up, look down at the lump from the grid level, only the outermost inch of the grid will be exposed to the direct infrared energy of the lump. If you have legs down, the only area shielded from the burning lump is the profile of the setter. That means anything hanging over the setter edge, will get very hot. 

For me, legs up for most indirect cooks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I've never used mine legs down, although I'm sure there is some cook that could require it
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I do legs up for low and slow, turbo and nitro cooks. I go legs down for pizza. Some say legs up for pizza too, but I learned it that way, and it works for me.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Awesome - will go with feet up and try it out....thanks.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I go legs up for any indirect cook, even pizza

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @500 same way I used to do everything, then I got the Adjustable rig, and I'm assuming that cooking pizza that way is the reason my gasket is fried on the large.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.