Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread - steam in the egg

bjadams
bjadams Posts: 28
Anyone baking good Italian or French bread in their egg? Just wondering the best way to add steam to the baking process. Boiling water in a pan? Ice cubes? spray bottle? I'm a little nervous using water around very hot ceramic cookers.

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    you could add a drip pan full of water or bake in a dutch oven (the no-knead way).  I guess it's hard to do a baguette in a DO though! 
    Mamaroneck
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited March 2013
    I don't know if my bread is any good, and not in any particular style, altho I did do ciabatta once. I have used very little extra water when baking in the Egg. I brush some water on the loaf just before putting it in, and then give a couple of squirts from a spray bottle on top of the pizza stone/'setter combo.

My bread has turned out well, better than in a stove w. a water pan for steam. My guess is that the Egg's water retention works as well for breads as it does for meats.

FWIW, I've been using a ceramic cloche for stove baking. Not much way to get steam into or out of that. I'm getting a much more reliable oven spring w. it than the bread straight on a stone with a water pan simmering below.

As far as getting water on a hot Egg, I can tell you the ceramic is pretty resistant to heat shock. I spilled a couple of cups of liquid from a drip pan into a heated Egg, and other than a huge cloud of steam, and some doused coals, nothing happened.  Likewise, have opened them during drenching thunderstorms w/o harm.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    I recommend a cast iron skillet on the plate setter. Then boiling water just after you put your bread on the baking stone.

Curious to see how this works. I just finished my bread phase and never could convince myself it was worth it in the egg. But the above is what I liked best in my oven. Nothing else seemed to give the same blast of steam (or oven spring, or crust).
  • I've not done baguettes in the egg, I don't think my loaf pans will fit in the medium.  I have done country loaves and I use a cast iron combo cooker; shallow ci pan topped with a tall ci pan.  This is for the first 20 minutes, then carefully lift off the top and cook till desired color.

For my bauguettes I use a sheet pan loaded with wet towels placed in the oven prior to cooking to develop a steam bath for the first 15 minutes of cooking, should be able to do the same thing in the egg.  Good luck!

• Rvtech
    Rvtech Posts: 2
    I do raised grid with a pizza stone on grid for indirect cook, Dutch oven with 2-3" of water on pizza stone. Grid above that (ceramic grill store raised rig)). Pampered chef clay pan with lip on top grid high in dome. Stabilize at 500° with clay pan in for 30 minutes. Remove pan, sprinkle with corn meal. Dump prepared sour dough loaf on pan, cook 45 minutes at 500°. Makes a beautiful artisan sour dough.
  • Do have a pic of this setup?
  • Rvtech
    Rvtech Posts: 2
    No, just did one last night. Pics on the next loaf
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i set it up with an empty pan and get it hot, then on goes the bread dough and a quarter cup or so of water that flashes into steam. seems to not need the steam later in the cook as much as in the beginning

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TheCub
    TheCub Posts: 13

BJ,

I have yet to bake bread on my LBGE....will do so in a few weeks.

However, when cooking in a conventional oven, my recipe calls for using a dutch oven to obtain the steam effect.  You place the dough in the dutch oven, and place the lid on top.  Then put the dutch oven in the conventional oven. For the first half of the cooking time, I bake it with the lid on the dutch oven.  This gives it the steaming effect.  Then for the 2nd half of the cooking time, I cook it in the dutch oven with the lid removed.  This will brown it.

Works great!

Cubster

Ain't no time like a good time!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    i set it up with an empty pan and get it hot, then on goes the bread dough and a quarter cup or so of water that flashes into steam. seems to not need the steam later in the cook as much as in the beginning

Is that lobster bisque in there?

Steve 

Caledon, ON