Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need testimonials...lo and slo on mini

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HAs anyone done anything relatively lo and slo on the mini? Ribs? a *small* butt? Anything?[p]Thanks.[p]Fritz

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Fritz:[p]To determine if ceramic cooking was for me, I purchased a mini. I pushed it to its limits. I did pork butt and ribs as a part of my testing.[p]It can be done with close monitoring of fire and temperatire control as the mini can make rapid changes. Clearly, you are going to be cooking smaller quantities, but I was pleased with the results. My pork butt was not exactly like the pulled pork butt you and I strive for (had a dedline to meet), but better than the "fast cooked" butt that Larry had at EGGtoberfest last fall. [p]If you are thinking about a Mini for camping, it is easy to devote the time to see the cook comes out perfect as you lounge around the campfire . . .

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]What size, poundage-wise, was the butt you did in the mini? As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, I may require a mini for Jets tailgates since I'm not yet sure if the Small will fit in my new car.[p]B-U-T-T BUTT BUTT BUTT!
    Cornfed

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]I purchased my mini about 8 months ago. Have not yet tried low/slow smoking, butt it does a great job on steaks, burger and sausage. [p]A while back, someone posted about an extention ring, bring the grill hight in line with the lip of the bottom half. The added space reportedly made lo&slow easier (further from the coals). I do need to research that a bit more![p]Smokey

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Smokey,
    The post about the ring extention was made by YB. I saw the unit while we were at his home a few weeks back. I believe that he has posted pics showing his setup.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    miniring.jpg
    <p />Fritz,
    Here is a picture of the stainless steel ring i had made for the mini egg that JJ was talking about,it raised the cooking surface 1 1/2 inches,it works great.
    YB

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    YB,[p]Cool. Do you squeeze a drip pan beneath the top grill?[p]Cornfed
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I have a 8 inch pie pan that the mini grill fits on,put a little liquid in the pan and your ready to cook ribs a chicken or what ever.
    YB

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Cornfed:[p]I do not remember the size of the butt that was cooked. I say what ever fits on a nine inch grate. If it don't fit, take a knife to it until it does!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    My gosh Yard Boy!!
    That is some serious handywork there. Great idea, and craftsmanship.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ