Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for Paella Eggsperts

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
@Solson005 Had a post of his fall Paella cook get bumped to the top again, and I saw it a few days ago. It was a wonderful post with a lot of detail and I haven't stopped thinking about paellas since then. I've probably made 50 or 60 paellas, either in the oven or on my gas grill, but I have yet to make one on the BGE. This changes tomorrow. 

Today I went out to test fit my 16 inch stainless steel paella pan and I was very pleased to see I have options. I found if I use my Spider with the legs on top of the fire ring instead of in the notches, It raises the handle so they are right at the level of the gasket and they barely touch the inside of the lid seam. This means I have choices. I can cook the paella lid up the whole time, or at the end when the rice and the broth simmer together for 15 minutes, I can cover it up and put the lid down. I think the lid just about closes all the way, there may be a slight gap, but not much. So my question is this: I do want tu use some wood chips to give some smoke flavor to this paella, so I'm wondering do I finish it with the lid up or lid down. I have seen paellas cooked on a charcoal grill with the lid up the entire time, but there was no mention about the presence or lack of smoke flavor. I haven't made my mind up on what I'm going to do yet. I'd really like some feedback from those of you who made paellas to let me know what you think: Should it be finished lid up or lid down and why? Also which way do you think is going to help develop the soccorat more? Thanks in advance.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

I'm no eggspert but have cooked around 15 or so paellas on the BGE following the basic guidance from this link for ceramic cookers- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm always a hit so hopefully this will help with your BGE cook ??. One of my favorite BGE cooks-I need to back in the game now!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297

I have cooked them on BGE with lid up and some times I place foil over the dish the last 20 minutes or so for the rice to cook and then sometimes I place the top down without  foil.  Works either way, just be sure that after all the goodies are in and the liquid is boiling you close the bottom vent.  Perhaps there are some words of help in these links.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1307094&catid=1

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited March 2013
    I've cooked a few paellas on the Egg but don't necessarily consider myself an Eggspert at it. I too follow the process outlined on the Whiz site (for the most part) & it calls for finishing with the lid down so that's what I've done. I've deviated some from the Whiz process in attempts to reduce or simplify steps. The smokiest paella I cooked was due in large to grilling chicken part way with smoke instead of cooking entirely in the pan. Here's the post from that cook: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141251/chicken-paella-for-the-4th-of-july

As for the soccarat, I think it is more dependent on the heat coming from below than from above so I would suspect lid up or down likely doesn't matter.

It has been way too long since I last cooked paella so I may be doing a paella tomorrow as well!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • jfm0830
    Thanks a lot guys! I read all of the links you provided. Lid down it shall be. I am really looking forward to this cook for so many reasons. Where I couldn't do paella on the gas grill in the winter, it was off my radar screen until sprirng. When I saw @Solson005 's post I realized if I can cook on the wok with the lid up, a paella at a lower temp should be a breeze.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I put the dome down for my cook but that was mainly because my smaller pan allowed it, I don't think it would greatly impact it one way or another. As far as smoke you might notice a tad more with doing it using charcoal rather than gas but I don't think the dome down would provide a smokey finish. While the egg has great insulated properties with the lid closed, Paella and Stir-fry are two cooks that do not require them.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jfm0830
    I use WGWW which is very smoke neutral, and I don't notice smoke flavor when I bake with it. I plan to add some wood chips before closing the lid up for cooking down the broth.
  • Solson005
    That sounds like a good plan, I will be interested to get your thoughts. I will start searching for some bomba or have a guest that will be eating when I make it get it for me to see if it makes a big difference from Arroz Sollana which is what I normally use. So I can make one soon.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jfm0830
    I have always used Arroz Bomba for my paellas. The cookbooks I have say you can use Arroz Sollana in a pinch if you can't find Arroz Bomba. It is said to be quite suitable, but Arroz Bomba is the best. Arroz Sollana absorbs 3 to 3.5X it's weight in liquid where Arroz Bomba absorbs 4.5 to 5X it's weight in liquid. I am rather excited by this paella because it is lamb, which I've only used once before, and uses a homemade broth, which should add to the flavor. I just need to decide on the wood chip type to use with the lamb.
  • Solson005
    I have always went with Sollana due to the $2.99 vs $20.99 for Bomba that I've found. It costs enough to get seafood in Oklahoma but I will try to find it next time. I know it's the best so maybe my next Paella will be even better!
  • jfm0830
    edited March 2013
    Yikes!!! Ouch!!! Not sure if I'd pay $21 pr bag either.The bags I get go for $12-$13 for a 2.2#/ 1 kilo bag which generally is enough for 2-3 paellas. Have you tried any Spanish markets in a nearby big city? I do sometimes have to make a pilgrimage into Boston to get hard to find paella ingredients like Jamon Serrano. Around here the Sur La Table cooking stores stock Bomba rice. Perhaps look for it in some high end cooking stores near you that sell paella pans. 
  • Solson005
    William Sonoma was the only place I found it at last time. No sur la table or any high end grocery stores and the Mediterranean place I get my 00 flour from doesn't carry it. Okc has a limited selection of that kind of stuff. But I think asking someone else to order it online and come eat would work for them and me.
  • jfm0830
    W-S seems to have stopped carrying it. I was lucky because when they stopped carrying it, a Sur la Table opened in the same mall and they still do carry it. I checked the W-S website and it is not shown on there. I think your BYOB policy is clever.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    jfm0830 said:
    I have always used Arroz Bomba for my paellas. The cookbooks I have say you can use Arroz Sollana in a pinch if you can't find Arroz Bomba. It is said to be quite suitable, but Arroz Bomba is the best. Arroz Sollana absorbs 3 to 3.5X it's weight in liquid where Arroz Bomba absorbs 4.5 to 5X it's weight in liquid. I am rather excited by this paella because it is lamb, which I've only used once before, and uses a homemade broth, which should add to the flavor. I just need to decide on the wood chip type to use with the lamb.
    Olive wood is great with lamb

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Solson005
    Thanks @Richard_Fl I have one of my guests willing to buy it if I cook it so problem solved, I will forward the link to him!