Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderlion Steaks

Options
Question for the steak experts.......I bought two pieces of Beef Tenderloin Steaks last Sunday to grill Monday night for supper....unfortunately we got sick and did not feel like cooking them. here we are a week later and better. do you think the steaks are still any good? they have been in the original wrap and refrigerated since we bought them. thanks for all responses.    
Brandon, MS

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Give them the smell test... When in doubt, throw it out.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    My rule of thumb is 3 days in the fridge...Past that I'm not so sure.
    Large BGE

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Totally depends how well they are packaged.  Like @hapster said open up if they smell bad you'll know it right away. If they smell like meat smells it's going to be A  Okay. If it was poultry I wouldn't even bother opening it up but beef lasts longer in my opinion.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options

Problably a dumb question but why would it spoil in just a week isn't dry aged beef kept for weeks in the fridge???

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • chris123stock
    Options
    I would just go with the smell test,  and if you get sick just pretend it was just a relapse of last week.  :>
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I would just go with the smell test,  and if you get sick just pretend it was just a relapse of last week.  :>
    :) LOL! I think I will pass on that! not a good feeling.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I am going to toss 32.00 bucks of meat. not going to chance it. live to cook another day!
    Brandon, MS
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I would hit it. I pay good money for some 45 day dry aged stuff. You cook it hot enough it's gonna be safe, in my opinion. My wife throws out leftovers after a day though. What she doesn't know hasn't made her sick yet.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I'd go longer than most with beef, id be scared of chicken and pork. But smell it like @haptser said, more than likely it is more than fine, if your scared, What's your address?? ill cook it!

And you would prolly never die, just have the runs and want to die. (just saw you threw it out)

XLBGE 
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    hapster said:
    Give them the smell test... When in doubt, throw it out.
    +1
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I'd go longer than most with beef, id be scared of chicken and pork. But smell it like @haptser said, more than likely it is more than fine, if your scared, What's your address?? ill cook it!

And you would prolly never die, just have the runs and want to die. (just saw you threw it out)
    Have not thrown it out yet.....but you would not have to drive that far, I am in Brandon MS. hour and 40 minutes from you if you are in Starkville  :)
    Brandon, MS
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    haha thats not too far!! 

better safe than sorry man, i am surfing kroger for out of date steaks to try.  havent seen any good ones since i decided to bite the bullet

XLBGE 
  • AngelGonzales
    Options

I totally agree with the other comments here. Try doing a smell test and i think once you keep it frozen, it's okay.