Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig

So I am looking to buy the Adjustable rig from CGS for my XL BGE and need to know if anyone has an opinion on the grates. I have a few spare 21.5" grates I used to make my DIY setup that are still in really good shape but I am not sure these will work with the Adj rig.  CGS sells their own grates at 16"X20" and 20"x20" -- I am wondering if the extra 1.5" on the grates I have will prevent the lid from closing or anything.  I am not opposed by buying the ones on CGS but looking to save $90 if I can... 

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I ended up getting the BGE three tiered grill with the center post.  If i had it to do over i would rather have the AR.  But i need something to cook high in the dome and both will do that..
  • Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24
    Thanks Tuna -- I had a DIY like the three tiered - ready to move on to the AR.  Heard nothing but great reviews about CGS and customer service
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Can't speak directly to the xl but on the Large I can put the regular BGE grid on top of the Rig and close the Egg fine.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I got the PSWOO2 for my LBGE because I already had a platesetter, so I can't speak to the AR itself.  But, High quality stuff from CGS... You may find the $90 is well worth it for the quality of the weld and materials.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Denevan

CGS sells a 20" grid for the top (for the XL AR) - I think the L BGE is only 18 so anything less than 20" would be fine -- my worry is that 21.5" may be too big and rub up against the inside of the dome wall... may even prevent it from closing or worst damage the dome.

• Denevan
    I think you are spot in flemster - products are make in USA too so... just hate to buy more if what I have works...
  • Scottborasjr
    Take your 21.5" grid and hold it up inside the dome to see how far into the dome that you can get it while maintaining safe clearance.  However I would assume if Tom is selling a grid specifically for that purpose that is 20 inches is probably the optimum size.  Give Tom a call and ask him, I'm sure he would give you the answer. 940-323-9911.  He will be able to answer any questions you have.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • flemster
    Denevan said:
    I think you are spot in flemster - products are make in USA too so... just hate to buy more if what I have works...
    I hear you about buying what you already have....  While waiting for GCS to start making the rig extender for the PSWOO I admit I made a DIY of bolts and an old rack.  I did what @scottborasjr is suggesting and I tested out the distance into the dome I could safely get the extended rig.  Here it is in action with a pizza stone on it.

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • flemster
    PS:  Get the spider that GCS makes and an old cast iron grate..... searing right on the fire is awesome

• Scottborasjr
    @Flemster, while I agree that the cast iron makes it a prettier presentation, if you can find any grid that will go on the spider for cheap searing on the coals is fantastic.
  • flemster
    I worried about the longevity....i.e. burning through 3 X 10$ grids was the same as buying a CI...(since I didn't have any lying around small enough)  Perhaps I could have saved some cash...ah well, what SWMBO doesnt know.....

• Denevan

Good Idea @scottborasjr  great point on a CI grid @Flemster

Anyone know of any deals on some CI grids? I have a craycort that is pretty awesome -- If I get the AR I think I will get either the Woo2 or the spider and a 18" grid (I do like the presentation on a CI and they last forever!)

• flemster
    Denevan said:

Good Idea @scottborasjr  great point on a CI grid @Flemster

Anyone know of any deals on some CI grids? I have a craycort that is pretty awesome -- If I get the AR I think I will get either the Woo2 or the spider and a 18" grid (I do like the presentation on a CI and they last forever!)

I suspect you have figured this out and I am stating the obvious, but wanted to make sure I didnt "assume" you into a costly error. The AR is totally different from the WOO series. The AR seems way more versatile than the WOO but if one already has a plate setter for the PSWOO it is the way to go to "avoid" the cost of a new indirect stone. But the AR seemed really cool with sliding racks at multiple levels. A real "all in one" rig. Anyway, I ramble..... My SWMBO thinks I am a total nut job for spending so much time researching a "grill accessory". I decided to hold my indignation about the word "grill" as well as her dismissive tone about the level of importance..... Guess I still want "dessert" occasionally :))

• Scottborasjr
    I would seriously recommend to anyone even considering one of the Ceramic Grill Store products to call them and talk to them. I wasted a lot of money in shipping getting what I eventually figured out that I needed by ordering my stuff for my large from them in three different shipments.
  • flemster
    I would seriously recommend to anyone even considering one of the Ceramic Grill Store products to call them and talk to them. I wasted a lot of money in shipping getting what I eventually figured out that I needed by ordering my stuff for my large from them in three different shipments.
    Agree. Had a great experience with Tom and got what I wanted first time.

• Denevan
    @Flemster I think we are on the same page but here goes nothing... I wanted the AR for multi-level cooks. I want the Woo2 for searing and to put the grid at felt level. 
    I have an XL and I don't think there is a PSWoo for the XL -- just the XL Woo2.    I cannot use my XL grid on top of the AR -- can only use the optional 20" grid (loosing 4" or area). 
    In the end I think I am going to get the XL AR and the XL spider. To raise the grid to the felt line I may just use some bricks that are 3".  
  • Scottborasjr
    And the sad thing is I'm debating tacking a 13x17 inch stone for the Large in my order for stuff for the small.
  • Denevan
    Looking on the site now - the PSWoo is pretty cool - I think Tom needs to make one for the XL.  CGS -- Make an XLPSWoo please!
  • Denevan
    Going to call Tom Monday.  Thanks Flemster & scottborasjr.
  • flemster
    Happy shopping! It will arrive FAST!

• Scottborasjr
    Yeah, the shipping might not be cheap, but you will have whatever you order incredibly fast.