Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire box wobbly

Getting ready to cook ribs today and decided to clean out the egg first.  I've noticed that the fire box wobbled a good bit.  When I took the egg  apart I found a lot of ash behind the fire box.  I cleaned it out good and put it back together but the inside still wobbles.  The egg itself is real stable, just the fire box.  I also noticed that there was a good 3/4 of an inch between the fire box and the wall of the egg all the way around.  Is that normal?  Does your fire box wobble?
Columbia, SC

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mine doesn't.  It could be a defective cast, call up HQ.  You could put some sand on the bottom of the egg, should take out the wobble.  That would drive me nuts.
    Cleaned mine today too, no wobble. 3/4 all around seems like a good bit too, Mine is probably 1/2 or less. Take some pics to send to HQ
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • To eliminate wobble pull the firebox up next to the Egg wall on either side.  This will firm up things for you.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    edited March 2013
    I'm cooking now so don't want to open the egg. I'm going to take it apart again tomorrow and look at the bottom of the feet on the fire box and play with it a little. If I can't find the problem I will call HQ. It is bothering me too. Probably more than it should but I'm kind of wrapped that way. Thanks everyone.
    Columbia, SC

• You sure you didnt have something under the firebox? I cleaned mine before the cook and had a piece of wood under mine.
  • sarivers
    edited March 2013
    I took the fire box out and cleaned the bottom of the egg good. It occurred to me after I fired it up that I did not check the bottom of the fire box legs. I'm going to take it apart again tomorrow and shop vac everything. I will post the results tomorrow.
    Columbia, SC

• sarivers
    I took it appart today and cleaned it good - shop vaced it. Put the fire box back in and turned it in every direction I could. It always wobbled. I also noticed that the serial number was different on the dome and the firebox. The dome begins with N48 then 4 numbers. The firebox is N47 and the same 4 numbers. Should the 2 serial numbers be different? I think I'm calling BGE tomorrow.
    Columbia, SC

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Easy fix go to your driveway and rub the bottom on the ground. It should sand it flat
  • sarivers
    U_tarded said:
    Easy fix go to your driveway and rub the bottom on the ground. It should sand it flat
    I've thought about that and it may be a last option.  It is less than a month old and I would like to get it fixed under the warranty.
    Columbia, SC

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If it breaks because you're scraping in on cement, it might be difficult to get it replaced!
    See, that's why I never clean mine - Ignorance is bliss. 
    I just poke my old venturi brush through the fire box holes, then rack what ash I can out. Gap between fire box and base must be close to 1" on my MBGE, my rake is home made 1" wide and it fits almost 1/4 way around without effort. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have the same issue with my large BGE. The firebox wobbles too much to be considered normal. You should not have to grind or sand on a $1000.00 grill. My XL does not have this issue by the way.
    Concord, NC. family = 1 XL BGE -1 Large BGE - 1 MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    My large doesn't have the issue, but my new MiniMax has a rediculous wobble with the fire box. Rough cast on the MiniMaxes for sure, not the only part. It wobbles, then the grate isn't sized well enough, IMO, and slids around the fire ring. Pretty shoddy, but probably fixable with some patiences and a little work.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • I love the egg but my issue is why should I have to alter the size and fit of a brand new grill that I paid $1000 for.
    Concord, NC. family = 1 XL BGE -1 Large BGE - 1 MiniMax