Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

cast iron grate

does any one know where i can get a good cast iron grate for my lbge??? my local dealer wants over 100$! thanks!!
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,951
    Amazon sells them.   You can also get mangrates ;)

Personally, I'm completely happy with the factory grill grate.  Be very careful with cast iron grates - they're fragile. If you drop it on concrete, it can break.

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    I just checked the same thing today.  Amazon had it for 65 I believe.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    Craycort CI grid is around 70 bucks, I believe. It has removable sections too.
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 454
    thanks everyone!
    ·
  • pineypiney Posts: 615
    daffy if you have an Academy Sports near check then out, yesterday the store in Hickory, N.C. had round ones that would fit xl or l on clearance at 29.95
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • DenevanDenevan Posts: 24
    Craycort CI grids are awesome - perfect grill marks and great customer service. 
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    Watch the one on amazon I think it's sold by music city metals I picked mine up a few months back for like 45 on sale. Add it to your wishlist and you will get emails of price drops. I love mine I know it doesn't taste better but I love some pretty sear marks on my meat!
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    The CI grill grate was one of my must have Eggcessories. I love the great grill marks I get. I am a little confused though, around here the dealers have the BGE version for $49.95. Unless you have something to securely pick it up, you might want to consider the BGE CI grid lifter for $20 bucks.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • DenevanDenevan Posts: 24
    I found a 18" CI today @ "the Parts Biz" for $39. It's $14 to ship but it weights just over 12lbs...
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 851
    Must have, here. But paid $70 at Fred's, who is on the high side. Also for the mini, can't remember but I think with shipping $49.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,707
    I have to say the bge brand grate was spend but the build quality seems legit. OK with the $50 I paid for the mini one
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    edited March 2013
    I use the carbon steel Swing Rack from Ceramic Grill Works which is very similar to cast iron and allows me to have a second tier with easy access to the bottom level. I can get great sear marks with it as well. 

I like the craycort ones because you can get a griddle piece for it as well, but I have never used one. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·