Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

just wondering?

I am just wondering what everyone uses to smoke a brisket? I have apple. I like to try new things but hate to screw them up. Everyone have a great weekend. If you're working like me, well just make the best of it

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    I like pecan or hickory with beef. The Texicans will tell you it has to be Mesquite. It's a little too strong for my taste
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,777
    Oak is popular to use for brisket.  Really you could use any smoke wood with a brisket.

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Pecan is a milder smoke, but goes well with beef and pork!
  • All oak here.
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
  • SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,542
    edited March 2013

We like to use Oak Lump charcoal along with a couple of chunks of Hickory smoking wood.  We will also use some cherry for color on the smoke ring.

Hard to beat the Oak/Hickory combination for tradititional BBQ.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• So I opened a bag of Hickory chunks at work,  going to try them this time. Whats a good amount of chunks to use?
  • We like to use Oak Lump charcoal along with a couple of chunks of Hickory smoking wood.  We will also use some cherry for color on the smoke ring.

Hard to beat the Oak/Hickory combination for tradititional BBQ.

So just a couple of chunks? And cherry, I will try that. Thanks
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,777
    Put the packer on cold and start the cook off low, 225-250, and you'll get a nice smoke ring.  Once it gets past 140, you can crank it up to 275-300.  You can also cheat and put a little bit of sodium nitrite in the rub (I swear I don't do that!).

• Put the packer on cold and start the cook off low, 225-250, and you'll get a nice smoke ring.  Once it gets past 140, you can crank it up to 275-300.  You can also cheat and put a little bit of sodium nitrite in the rub (I swear I don't do that!).
    Ya right I bet you dont do that.  :))
  • Yes, I only use a couple of chunks.  One right in the fire and one at the edge of the fire.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Yes, I only use a couple of chunks.  One right in the fire and one at the edge of the fire.
    Can I ask you this? Do you use the cherry at the same time?