Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

just wondering?

I am just wondering what everyone uses to smoke a brisket? I have apple. I like to try new things but hate to screw them up. Everyone have a great weekend. If you're working like me, well just make the best of it
·

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    I like pecan or hickory with beef. The Texicans will tell you it has to be Mesquite. It's a little too strong for my taste
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,962
    Oak is popular to use for brisket.  Really you could use any smoke wood with a brisket.

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Pecan is a milder smoke, but goes well with beef and pork!
    ·
  • All oak here.

·
  • SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,403
    edited March 2013

We like to use Oak Lump charcoal along with a couple of chunks of Hickory smoking wood.  We will also use some cherry for color on the smoke ring.

Hard to beat the Oak/Hickory combination for tradititional BBQ.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • So I opened a bag of Hickory chunks at work,  going to try them this time. Whats a good amount of chunks to use?
    ·
  • We like to use Oak Lump charcoal along with a couple of chunks of Hickory smoking wood.  We will also use some cherry for color on the smoke ring.

Hard to beat the Oak/Hickory combination for tradititional BBQ.

So just a couple of chunks? And cherry, I will try that. Thanks
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,962
    Put the packer on cold and start the cook off low, 225-250, and you'll get a nice smoke ring.  Once it gets past 140, you can crank it up to 275-300.  You can also cheat and put a little bit of sodium nitrite in the rub (I swear I don't do that!).

·
  • Put the packer on cold and start the cook off low, 225-250, and you'll get a nice smoke ring.  Once it gets past 140, you can crank it up to 275-300.  You can also cheat and put a little bit of sodium nitrite in the rub (I swear I don't do that!).
    Ya right I bet you dont do that.  :))
    ·
  • Yes, I only use a couple of chunks.  One right in the fire and one at the edge of the fire.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • Yes, I only use a couple of chunks.  One right in the fire and one at the edge of the fire.
    Can I ask you this? Do you use the cherry at the same time? 
    ·