Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying a new lump charcoal

Anyone tried "Nature-Glo" hardwood lump made by Royal Oak?  I'm usually a Wicked user, but my guy was out.
Thanks

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Looks like a good one to try out if Wicked Good is not available.
    See here...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag43.htm

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    I've heard it's really good, but can't find it here in MN.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Ah, forgot to check naked whiz.  Thanks.  Will give it a go on some baby backs tomorrow.

• Hi Everyone:

I was watching a video and this guy mentioned there was a lump charcoal that doesn't impart any flavor to the food. I didn't catch the type of wood/name. My family doesn't like any smoky taste when I'm making bird....thought I would get some (if it exists) when I do Thanksgiving turkey.

Cheers,

Alex
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    aomsen2 said:
    Hi Everyone:

I was watching a video and this guy mentioned there was a lump charcoal that doesn't impart any flavor to the food. I didn't catch the type of wood/name. My family doesn't like any smoky taste when I'm making bird....thought I would get some (if it exists) when I do Thanksgiving turkey.

Cheers,

Alex

It's not necessarily a certain brand, but more the carbon content of the charcoal.  The higher the carbon content, the less wood that's left in the charcoal.  Less wood = less smoke.

If you get a charcoal that is under-carbonized, or if full of molding/floor scrap, it's going to smoke like crazy......and not that's necessarily the flavor(s) of smoke you want.  If that happens with a mesquite based charcoal, you could ruin that turkey.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    aomsen2 said:
    Hi Everyone:

Cheers,

Alex
    Wicked Good is the least 'smoke flavored' I've used.  If you don't add wood chips/chunks, you will get almost no smoke flavor.