Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked salmon and shrimp dinner (pics to follow)

Options
YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
For the first time, I'll be cooking cedar planked salmon and some shrimp as well.  I started the salmon using a method I found online.  Rubbed with brown sugar and a little bit of salt.  Stacked, skin side out, and placed in the fridge to form the pellicle.  Have the shrimp getting happy in the fridge with some olive oil and Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.  Cedar planks are soaking in water.
The plan is to cook everything direct, salmon on the planks, and the shrimp on skewers to the side.  I'm gonna try a brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon glaze for the salmon.  Wife likes her salmon on the sweeter side.  I'm making up for that with the shrimp.
I'll have a few beers to get me through this, wish me luck.
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Sounds brilliant - good luck!
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I've tried alot of different things on salmon, but never brown sugar.  Please let us know how it works out.  Thanks.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• YEMTrey
    Options
    This was amazing.  Sorry no pics, my phone screen went out on Tuesday and I just got the replacement phone in the mail today.  Still have to setup my phone and get it going so didn't have it for pics of the cook.
    The salmon was cooked to around 135-140 and was falling off the skin when I went to pull it off the planks.  The shrimp went on and cooked very quickly. I knew to watch them closely.  Pulled them off perfectly as well. Had some broccoli and some parmesan angel hair pasta to go with them.  The salmon turned out perfect.  I glazed it with a concoction of brown sugar, maple syrup and bourbon (Basil Hayden).  I didn't put too much on the salmon.  As it being my first time around, I wanted to have a good base to judge what salmon cedar planked on the egg tasted like.  The shrimp had perfect color and the rub was an amazing compliment to the rest of the meal.  Just enough spice to liven things up and a change of pace.  This was a great meal, and one that left me smiling ear to ear when I was finished. My back yard smelled amazing and it was a very enjoyable cook.

My XL BGE is absolutely amazing, but I have to say that I wouldn't get half the enjoyment out of my egg that I do now if it wasn't for this site.  The egg does what it does, but this site is inspiring and full of invaluable information and experience.  Even this novice can turn out incredible meals with the combination of the two.

Cheers!
    Steve 

• fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    Great job Steve! Sounds fantastic! Are you going to Cook at Porkopolis this year? 
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    SWVA- the brown sugar, maple syrup, and Basil Hayden bourbon glaze was incredible.  I had three salmon filets on the Egg, so I put the glaze on two of them, and left the third naked for comparison's sake.  Even the filet without the glaze tasted good on it's own. 

FastEddieM- not sure if I'm prepared to cook at a fest yet.  Everything I make is pretty run of the mill.  Nothing like what CookinBiker does.  Not even close.  I'll talk to my two buds and maybe we can do a group cook for Porkopolis.  I know my friend Sean was kicking around the idea.
    Steve 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    @YEMTrey - this sounds great! I've been wanting to do cedar plank salmon for a while. What was your dome temp? How long does it take to form the pellicle? Did you go straight lump? Or did you add any chips/chunks? Sorry to bombard with questions, I'm just thinking about doing this over the weekend now.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• YEMTrey
    Options
    @bodski- I kept my dome temp at around 350 the entire time and did them direct. I created an indirect fire (off to the side) in my XL to be safe and control temps better. I rotated them on the grid and moved them around a bit to make sure the salmon was getting a good amount of heat. I did straight lump, was afraid that the cedar planks would impart too much smoke/flavor as is. I rubbed the salmon filets and put them in the fridge for just over 12 hours.  Next day, rinsed and dried, then put back in the fridge until dinner.

Enjoy!  You'll love it.
    Steve 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Thanks YEMTrey!

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Yem, I just brought home some salmon and will be lunch tomorrow. About how long did you plan the cook out before chow time?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I did salmon the other night with K/salt, garlic flakes & cinnamon with a drizzle of teriyaki on it. Next time I'll use more cinnamon as it added a nice flavor touch to it. Grilled direct on foil at 375*.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.