Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time for Pork Shoulder

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a Pork Shoulder for a softball end-of-year bbq and need some guidance. I am going to get a 6-7lb'er, I found a good recipe for an injection and I am coating the outside with a favorite rub of mine (John Henry's -Nedra D's Hickory Rub w/ Garlic). My goal is to be able to yank the bone out and give the meat a little shove and watch it fall apart. I need to get a good idea of temp to cook this thing at and how long. The BBQ starts around 7pm (not today!)if that helps!!! Thanks!!!

Comments

• Zilm-disabled
    Options
    Matty, I cooked my first Shoulder this weekend and it was an experience. When they say Low - Slow they mean it buddy. Temp should be around 200-220 degrees and smoke with hikory. You will want to cook to an internal temp of 200 in order to break the connective tissue down and turn it into gelatin. Total time to cook will vary and a post that I read yesterday afternoon said it all. Shoulder's have their own timetable so figure around 18-20 hours. See my post below about how to reheat. I seriously under estimated how long the cook would take but in the end it was well worth it and beat any thing I have eaten out hands down.

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Doing my first this weekend. Got to get my BBQ Guru installed and figure that out. Got a big butt ordered, 8-10 lbs. Don't remember anything about injecting the shoulder, have to look into that. Any other tips about this or about 1st time Guru use? Thanks in advance.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Matty,
    The rule of thumb that I have been given from this forum and has worked well for me is 1 .5 to 2 hrs. per pound at 225 grate. Figure about 14 hrs. for a 7lb. butt and have a warmed cooler ready in case it is are ready before you are set to serve it. If you are looking at a 7PM serve time I would start the cook at 11PM tonight for a complete time of about 1PM (later would be better is you do not mind staying up late). This will give you room if the meat is not completed by then. Wrapping the meat in foil and keeping it in the cooler will just make the meat better. Remember to make sure that the fire is stabilized at 225 deg. for a good hour before putting the meat in.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    RR,

Thanks for the info.
  • wingfoot
    wingfoot Posts: 95
    Options
    Matty,[p]There's a very good write up on the Naked Whiz's site for cooking butts. I don't know how many you're cooking for, but one 6 to 7 pounder doesn't seem like enough for a softball team. Figure on yielding about 60% of your pre-cooked weight, so a 6 pound butt will give you less than 4 pounds of pulled pork. I cook mine at 250 dome.[p]Good luck,[p]Mike